Monday, May 26, 2008

The Windsor Tornado

I don't know if the tornadoes that hit Colorado on Thursday made national news or not. We were under a tornado watch in the area we live--it was really windy and kind of exciting and scary. The girls turned on the t.v. and that is when we heard that a tornado had touched down in Windsor, which is really close to where Ryan grew up. The devastation and aftermath has been all over the news here. We were up in that area today (see previous post) and witnessed just a small part of the destruction first hand. They aren't letting anyone into Windsor except for disaster relief workers, but as we drove past the turn off to Windsor on our way to Greeley, we saw some buildings that were completely destroyed, a lot of broken trees and power lines that were knocked over--some people had power lines completely blocking their driveways. It was really sad and eye-opening. It is different when you see things in person. I tried to snap some pictures on our way back through--they don't really show how bad it is, but I was taking the pictures out the window of a moving car in the rain. Here is one of the many fallen power lines...This was a group of trailer homes I think--you can't see how bad it really was, but on the right side of the picture you can see that one was just ripped apart completely. And the trees were all broken. I didn't get a picture of the worst one we saw--a building that was completely demolished.
These are more trees that were just chopped in half.
My heart goes out to all the people that lost everything. There are still a lot of people up there that don't even have power or basic necessities. I heard that there have also been tornadoes in Iowa too. It is scary to think how fragile your life really is--anything could change so quickly. It makes me grateful for the things that are really important--family and friends.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

i was supposed to go to Firestone last week to get my hair done, and almost drove through the storm just cause i wanted it done so bad. now i'm glad i cancelled. it really is devastating