Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

Mother's Day 2008
4:30 am--Lincoln wakes us up. We think he's cold.
5:15 am--Isaac wakes us up. He has a sore throat.
5:45 am--Chloe gets into bed with us, waking us up.
6:00 am--Lincoln wakes up for breakfast and we start our day.
7:00 am--Audrey and Chloe get into a huge fight right before the breakfast prayer. Audrey prays, "Bless everyone in our family except Chloe." Chloe starts to cry.
8:00am--Ryan goes to the church for an EQ Pres. meeting. Yes, on Mother's Day.
11:00 am--2:00 pm--We barely survive another Sunday. The irony of people talking about the joys of motherhood while I am pulling my hair out trying to get my kids to stop throwing paper airplanes in the middle of church seems to be lost on everyone else in the room. The kids sing beautifully to all the mothers, then start fighting over the chocolate rose in my purse that the youth handed out to all the women.
2:30 pm--Still haven't left church...waiting for Ryan in yet another meeting (on Mother's Day--nope, I'm not at all bitter.)
3:30 pm--Have a fabulous dinner and admire my Mother's Day gift from the kids--little plaster casts of each of their hands.
5:00 pm--Ryan takes the kids upstairs to start the bedtime routine and peace envelopes the house. Finally.

I have to say here how grateful I am for my own mother. I am constantly calling her for advice and support and I only hope that I can someday be as good a mother to my kids as she has been to me. I also have to express my appreciation for my mother-in-law, who raised such an exceptional son. How she managed to raise ten kids without checking herself into a mental institution is literally inconceivable to me!

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers I know! I hope your day was marvelous!



1 comment:

Jenni said...

ONE chocolate rose? Do they not understand that we need at least a king sized candy bar?!?

...but we've discussed this already...