Thursday, May 1, 2008

Back on Track Off (sort of)

I have the energy level of a three-toed sloth, but I am feeling a little bit better today, so we did some more of our exciting track off activities. The kids drew a mural on the back of a giant piece of paper that Isaac brought home from school. (Why do teachers send those things home?! I don't want it, what am I supposed to do with it? I guess the kids think it is cool...)
We made "Hot Rocks" which was really fun. You take large, smooth rocks and wash them off, then put them in the oven (350 degrees) for 15 minutes. While you wait for the rocks to heat up, you peel the wrappers off some old crayons. Then you take the rocks out and warn the kids how hot they are and let them color on the rocks. The wax melts and makes the rocks beautiful!
Some of the finished rocks...(I did Lincoln's--his motor skills aren't quite there yet.)
And here are our grass head guys--some are a little hairier than others!
Today we also made "Hot Vanilla" (think hot chocolate--only the opposite.) It was a perfect day for it--it snowed like crazy all day long! Here is the recipe:

Mix 1/2 cup whipping cream until frothy. Add 1 TBSP chocolate sauce and a dash of cinnamon. Mix until peaks form. Set aside. For each mug of hot vanilla, pour 1 cup of milk into a mug. Add 2 tsp. sugar and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Heat in the microwave until hot. Add a scoop of the chocolate cream on top. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Seriously where do you get these ideas? They are so creative! Can you keep me entertained? Haha!

Jenni said...

Those rocks are awesome! We're SO doing that one of these days...

Kayla said...

I love the rocks. I'm glad your feeling better and that you're up to being busy again. your day sounds better than mine. I had the bee in my bonnet to start potty training......lets just say it's been 24 painful hours and for a number of reasons (probably none of which are very good) I'm giving up!