Saturday, October 4, 2008

Here we go again

"What did you do today, Lindsay?"

"Oh, you know, the same thing I do every single Saturday...tried to keep the kids occupied and out of the house as much as possible so that Ryan can study."

Bitter? Yes, a little. For those of you who aren't aware, this is our current situation: Ryan works full time and is getting his Master's degree. When those two things aren't conflicting with his time, he is finishing our basement. Where does that leave me? Oh, a single mom. Sorry to vent here, people, but this is my blog/scrapbook/journal and I need to! I am going so crazy! I really don't feel like I can take another millisecond of this. I know this was our choice. I shouldn't complain, but it is just so hard. I am in desperate need of a break--and I see none on the horizon. Well, that molten chocolate lava cake I just ate did help a little. (Yummy--Betty Crocker Warm Delights Minis--only 150 calories each, that is if you only eat one.)

To his credit--Ryan obviously would much rather be with us than be doing what he is doing. He is working so hard for all of us and I do love and appreciate him very much!

Anyway... Today we were off to the Farmer's Market again because it is close and cheap entertainment for the kids. Sorry if you get sick of seeing the girls with their faces painted, but dang, that lady is really an artist! And the girls love it--they would stand their for hours every Saturday if I agreed to it, just waiting for their chance to let her do her magic. Here they are as the blue and pink tigers!

We also saw the balloon artist, which my kids absolutely love. He is very talented and a pretty funny guy, but I think this was the last time we will be visiting him for a while. It somehow seems to escape my kids that it is inherent in the very nature of balloons that they pop. So, after waiting quite patiently for our turn and getting a light saber, a bow and arrow, a princess crown and a flower made out of balloons, and then having them pop one by one and watching certain children react as if I had just ripped their arms out of their sockets, I decided that the balloon man will just have to entertain other people's kids for a while.

Mr. Balloon man making Audrey's crown--while she checks out herself in the mirror! She loved that face paint--she couldn't stop looking at herself!

Here are the kids with their creations...(about 2 minutes before they popped.)

11 comments:

Erin said...

Come to Chicago... !

Unknown said...

Both Audrey and Chloe were quite disappointed when I broke the news that it was time for a shower and the tigers were going away.

Audrey took it in stride and kissed the tiger goodbye in the mirror. Chloe to her credit decided to save her nightly melt down for not wanting to wear the PJ's that I selected.

You have to love those girls...

Jenni said...

Heck, I'D love to have her paint my face every Saturday. That's some seriously SWEET makeup!

Hang in there kiddo.

Anonymous said...

Come to England...!

Single mom? Me too! Too bad we're an ocean apart. I just went online to find all the free things that I could do with the kids in town. I was happy to find that there was quite a bit. It will be worth the struggle and sacrifice! Love the facepaint. Dylanie got her face painted yesterday, too. Post to come...

Wind down with a good book each night and have a little Betty Crocker now and then. Sounds yummy to me. How is the basement coming? I'll pray for your sanity.

Anonymous said...

Email me that tiger paint picture. I love it. My refrigerator door needs it too.

Genni said...

I LOVE all of the things we each can do now that we are out of desert dwelling. Hurrah! :)

Anna M said...

Wow, what a farmer's market. Hang in there!

Casey said...

I don't know how you do it. I would have gone crazy by now. :)

At least you guys are making progress on your basement. I'm pretty sure ours will be done in 2015... if I'm lucky.

Heidi said...

Sorry about all of the single parenting! NOT FUN AT ALL! As I type this I'm waiting for Jaysen to show up and rescue me! He promised 6:00 tonight, and he's not here! AHHH! I dared him to be home by then, and looks like he's not taking the dare.

Good luck to you in the future. My temporary solution: ipod for me and separate rooms for the kids.

Robbie and Barb's Family said...

That face painting is amazing! I wouldn't want to wash it off either!

Priscilla said...

Well, I am just now finally getting around to commenting on this post! I am SO with you on this! I feel the exact same way and I am literally counting down the days until Chris graduates (see blog, :)) Besides having to do the "single parent" thing, he turns into a different sort of beast when he's in school - I guess the stress and pressure of it all. I just keep telling myself it will all be worth it in the end, if we make it there!! I'll pray for you, too.