Monday, October 27, 2008

IMPORTANT!!

I debated whether or not to put this on the blog, because it is not very uplifting, but then I decided that our recent wake up call could definitely be a wake up call for all of you as well.

Someone tried to break into our house on Sunday morning, around 4 am. All I can say is THANK GOODNESS for our house alarm! The burglar set it off as soon as they got the door open, and that scared them away. I keep thinking of all the what if's--mainly because Isaac sleeps on the main floor by himself. That just terrifies me. We are thinking or rearranging the bedrooms yet again after this episode.

So--here are my safety tips for all of you (and some things we learned)! Because really this could happen to anyone--we live in a very safe, good neighborhood. That doesn't mean that we are immune to bad things happening to us.

Always triple check your doors before going to bed. We always do this, but for some reason on Saturday night we didn't check closely enough. The back door was in the locked position, so it appeared locked to us, but it actually wasn't closed all the way. That will never happen again. Ryan cut a length of PVC pipe to go in the track of the sliding glass door, as well as Isaac's window, too.

Leave your porch and back lights on. The policewoman who "investigated" our case thought that the person probably just jumped over our back fence. Looking at the area I realized that it would be very dark at night--making it a very easy way to break into a house without being seen. We always leave our front porch light on. Now we will be leaving our back light on as well. We will also be installing a motion sensor light on the side of our house.

I guess my last thing learned is really you can never be too careful. We have had a lot of people question us as to why we have that house alarm over the past seven years we have had it. Now all I can think is that it may have saved Isaac's life for all I know. At the very least it saved some possessions and definitely helped my sense of well-being. I am the type that thinks, "Oh that will never happen to me." Even in the middle of the night, while the alarm was going off, I thought for sure it must just be malfunctioning--because there is no way someone would be breaking into our house. But it wasn't a mistake, these things can happen to anyone--so you can never be too cautious!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

How frightening! I'm glad you are all safe. That is my worst nightmare. Good thing for your alarm. I just can't believe it.

Unknown said...

Lindsay, that is terrifying! Our house was robbed when I was in high school but it was during the day when no one was home. I can't believe someone would be so brazen as to break into a house in the middle of the night when it was likely full of people! Truly scary. I'm so thankful that nothing bad happened, and thank you for the reminder to not forget to be vigilant, even in a "good" neighborhood. Yikes.

Priscilla said...

Oh, my gosh!! I'm so glad it turned out the way it did! You're smart, and always seem to go with your gut instinct, so that's good. Scary! Did they catch or know whoever did it??

Jenni said...

Yikes. Glad everyone is OK!

Gary and Amy said...

Scary! I am glad that everyone is okay. I have told Gary that I want an alarm system as soon as we get a house as well. Look what it can do!

Kristy Graff said...

oh my gosh! that is so scary and you live right across the street from me!! thanks for the heads-up and the tips. we will for sure be better about those things from now on!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you guys were unharmed! That is scary to know Isaac was on the main floor, thank goodness for alarms...maybe this will convince Jack to get one in the house we are building:)

YouHaveHowMany? said...

So glad everyone is ok... don't you feel violated in some sense? That is so scary. Now it just makes me want to get an alarm even more! Aaron prays every night to keep our house safe and keep the bad guys away. Maybe that's enough for now!

Genni said...

I am glad that everything turned out ok. I have the same worries now that we live in a one story home. We are in the process of getting the same system installed that we had in Sahuarita. Our landlord told us we didn't need it because we live in a safe neighborhood....well this proves him wrong doesn't it?

Heidi said...

I'm glad you all came out all right. Scary! You just never know what can happen.

Robbie and Barb's Family said...

That is sooooo scary! Crazy that we just talked about Isaac being downstairs by himself! Those are all great tips. A few years ago we had a guy try breaking into our house and it's terrifying... even when they get scared away! I am glad it worked out the way it did for you guys!

Claire said...

wow that is so scary! I'm glad you guys were all ok, and your house too! makes me nervous