Last Sunday we tried our first search before church. I'm sure people thought we were J.W.'s walking around in our Sunday clothes through the neighborhood. We were able to find the cache--it took some searching--but of course the camera ran out of batteries right as we found it!

Check out the new gps! Fancy! I'm sure we are the only people that go geo-caching in our church clothes.
Almost there!!!!!
Then I found a "Princess" cache online that I knew the girls would love so we went in search of that one. I was by myself with all four kids--carrying Lincoln the whole way. This was one we had to drive to get to and it was on the corner of a busy intersection. We searched and searched and searched but we couldn't find it anywhere. I finally decided I must have typed in the coordinates wrong. Isaac was so disappointed that we were giving up, but I can only take so much. After getting a hint from a friend who had already found it, I got another geo-caching friend and her daughter to go with us and we were able to find it right away that time. The kids were thrilled to find the treasure box and trade their little trinkets. We signed our names and hid it again.
The second time was the charm! Here are Isaac, Maren, Chloe, Audrey and Lincoln with the treasure box!

Look where it was hidden! No wonder I couldn't find it--I would think hiding things inside a sprinkler box would be against the law or something. I know I have a lot to learn about geo-caching.

When I first started researching what it was all about, Isaac kept telling me things about it. He was like a geo-caching expert. It turns out he had read this book...

We got it from the library and I have been reading it out loud to the kids so that the rest of us can be up to speed.
We are all excited to keep doing this--I just have to stick close to home if I am trying to do it by myself with all four kids. We do want this to be a family activity--some day Ryan will be done with school, right?!
10 comments:
We are big fans of Geocaching! Our boys think it is the coolest thing ever. A treasure hunt. I could never do it by myself, because I feel like to much of my life is already like that---wandering around trying to find things that can't be found. But as a family activity, we always have fun!
My husband LOVES geo caching! Every once in a while he gets in these moods and packs up the family to find hidden treasures. If the treasures were a little more amazing I might be more into it.
Sounds interesting. I've heard of it, but haven't ever looked into it to see what it is.
You did it! And to think its because we stumbled upon one... if only it was that easy every time! :)
Geo caching is awesome. It is fun to do with everyone. Glad the kids love it.
I think it is tons of fun...when it isn't super frustrating, that is. There is a cache in the park right by our house (seriously around the corner) and we've probably looked for that one half a dozen times....AARGH. :-)
There are a ton right around Disneyland!
We need to go with you sometime to find a new one!
Who would have thought that The Boxcar Children were so Hi-Tech. I thought they were poor and lived in a boxcar. Shows how smart I am! Sheesh!
Cute picture at the top of your blog. can you email it to me?
We've tried letter-boxing, which is similar and fun, but does not necessarily require a GPS. We should try again. Do you have a favorite website with locations? Fun wildlife experience too!
Geo-caching is so fun! My uncle and his wife travel all over the US and do geocaching to help them explore. There were some pretty cool things hidden around Sahuarita when they visited us there. I would love to by a handheld GPS so we can do it with the kids, I'm sure Tyler would love it!
Post a Comment