Friday, March 27, 2009

Neither rain, nor sleet, nor hail, nor snow...

...can stop us from getting a free breakfast!

Yesterday a blizzard hit us--hard! When we woke up, it had snowed a little, but the roads were clear. I heard on the radio that the schools were all closed for a snow day and I thought that was ridiculous. Then the girls' preschool teacher called and said that we were going to have school, but it was going to be a short day because of the weather. I still didn't really get what the big deal was. We dropped the girls off at school and then me and the boys went grocery shopping. It snowed all morning, but it still wasn't sticking to the roads so I wasn't concerned. I picked the girls up at noon and still had one more store to hit. We were in Sam's for about 30 minutes and when we walked out things had changed dramatically. The snow was coming down and blowing so hard we couldn't see. It had definitely started sticking to the roads and they had accumulated a lot. As we were driving home we saw cars spinning out right in front of us. The normally seven minute drive took us close to 30 minutes. I was white-knuckled and praying the whole way home. All we heard on the radio was "Giant blizzard--up to 18 inches in the metro area. Go home now if you can!!" And all I could think was, "I'm trying to!!!!!" We made it home and I had a message from work telling me to not come in that night. I called a few friends to tell them that Isaac wouldn't be going to soccer and they both said that their husbands had gotten sent home from work! Finally I got a call from Ryan to say that he was on his way as well. It continued snowing for the rest of the day and all through the night. We weren't sure if we would be able to get our free breakfast this morning, but with our 4-wheel drive and Ryan behind the wheel, we decided to give it a try and we were able to make it there and back without any problems. What an adventure!!

By the end of it all I think we got 10 inches, but there were parts of the city/area that had over 20!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is some Chick-fil-A dedication!