Sunday, April 6, 2008

I'm Back!

We got into town a few hours ago and I am exhausted! We had a great, whirlwind trip to Chicago that went by way too quickly! I thought I'd better try to get it posted quick before my life gets going again. Sorry if I get a little long...since I don't keep a journal or a scrapbook anymore, this is the only record of my life! So, for my posterity's sake, I want to keep a detailed account.

On the first night we got there, Royal and Lincoln took some time to get reacquainted. Lincoln was kind enough to share his special blanket with his sweet little cousin.

On Friday morning we woke up, did some shopping and then went to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field. One thing I loved about Chicago was that we walked everywhere! All morning we walked from store to store, then we came home, got ready and walked to a subway station! Public transportation is an adventure every time! This is Erin and I with the boys in the subway station.

Here we are in front of the field. Things actually went downhill from here. I guess that Lincoln is more of a Rockies fan. He cried, no screamed, from the second inning straight until the top of the ninth. Finally I got up and walked back and forth in the breezeway with him to get him to calm down. It was then that I got hit on! A drunken Cubs fan smiled invitingly at me and told me that "Mommies are sexy." Oh baby! I walked away. Lincoln finally fell asleep and I got to see the last three plays of the game. Oh well, I am still glad we went!That night we got home pretty tired, but not too tired to eat the famous Chicago deep dish pizza! It was soooo good, and unlike any pizza I have ever had. The crust is not like bread dough, it is closer in consistency to pie crust, but very thick. All the ingredients were fresh, including the half ton of mozzarella cheese that topped it. I only had two slices and felt positively sick (in a good way!) I definitely recommend it!

We took a nice walk along Lake Michigan. It was beautiful!! This was right outside Erin's and Dave's apartment!

This is me in front of Erin and Dave's apartment building (the tall one!) They live on the twelfth floor. It is such a different life than mine out in the suburbs of Denver, but one that is really fun. I don't know if I could handle it with four kids in tow. Just to get home from the airport was a long train ride, followed by a taxi ride! Just picture me and Erin trying to get the stroller, car seat, suitcase and ourselves into a taxi. I can't even imagine doing it with the rest of my kids!! This is the view from Erin and Dave's apartment every Saturday night! They overlook Lake Michigan and Navy Pier. Just like living at Disneyland!!

Here are Erin, Dave and Royal on the bus. I was so impressed with the friendliness of the people in Chicago. I was worried about people's reaction when I had to get the stroller on and off the buses, trains and subways, but people were so nice! Often times they offered me their seat, just because I had the stroller! And many people jumped up to help me maneuver it when I needed a hand. I was really impressed!


Another thing I loved about Chicago was that the city just has character. I don't think I've ever lived in a place like that. There was so much history and culture just wrapped up in the atmosphere. It was so fun to be there. We went to this little Jewish diner for breakfast one morning. I loved it! I got Challah French Toast which was the best thing I have ever eaten and I also got some authentic Jewish bagels to take home. What a fun experience--I just loved that there was culture everywhere you looked! Here is Lincoln and I in front of the old Chicago Theater.

On Saturday afternoon we did some more sightseeing and shopping. We had to stop at the American Girls Doll store and cafe just to see if I could get a little something for the girls. It was a madhouse! There were little girls with their dolls everywhere. The craziest thing--they have a salon where you can pay $20 to get your doll's hair done!!! Not your daughter's --her doll's!!! How could you take yourself seriously if your job was a doll stylist?! Speaking of not taking yourself seriously--here is me in front of the Hershey's store. I took this picture for Ryan--it's his two favorite things. Ha ha.
Erin and I went to the top of the Hancock building to have lunch. We were on the 95th floor!! The walls were floor to ceiling windows that overlooked the city and the lake. It was beautiful and the food was good too! Here we are at our table (check out Linky's BLUE eyes!).
And this is the view we had at lunch...
There are all kinds of things to look at there, like this giant silver jelly bean. What else can I even say about that?!

Alas, our trip was way too short!! Here we are this morning, saying goodbye.
Thank you Erin and Dave for having us! It was so much fun...I'm not sure that I'm ready to be back...

8 comments:

Jenni said...

What a fun trip! I just have to say that you seriously look fantastic! I absolutely love the picture of you and Lincoln in the restaurant.

Glad you had a great trip. You've successfully sold me on the necessity to take a trip to Chicago.

Erin said...

We did have fun didn't we?! It went by so fast, I feel like it never happened! I hope you flight home was good. I will email you some pictures that I took from your trip!

Lindsay said...

isaac

Lindsay said...

Don't you love it when little kids put comments on your blog? I really love it that the only thing he can think to type is his name.

Heidi said...

I must say that Jaysen and I are extremely envious of Erin's view. Having lived in a big city, we LOVED the public transit & all the action. We didn't have a view though! Our view was of the nursing home's air conditioner... Sometimes I wish we could do the city life again, but with all of the kiddos, it would be a bit of a challenge. What a lucky gal, getting time off to visit your sister! Who-hoo!

*Lindsey* said...

What an amazing trip. I bet the kids were happy to have mommy back

JacobandRyan said...

I am so glad you had such a great trip. I am jealous of all the cool places you went! Now it's back to the grind!
Love,
Angie

Anna M said...

What a fun trip and a well-deserved break