Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Just Another Day in My Life


Here is a picture taken this morning to prove that Isaac is alive and well, despite the "adventure" we had last night. I was in my bedroom trying to feed Lincoln in a calm, quiet environment, and also trying to take a break from the other kids, who had really made me mad. Isaac could sense that he had pushed me just a bit too far so he decided to do what every six year old boy would do in that situation and push a bit farther. He pulled one of our little kid tables over next to the bedroom door and stood on top of it (against the rules.) The girls were thinking this was all some sort of fun game and were playing with Isaac and needless to say somehow Isaac got knocked off the table and his head landed on the corner of it. Next thing I know, Isaac is screaming that he is bleeding. I open the door and see blood everywhere--all over the carpet, the library books on the floor and streaming down Isaac's neck. Well, I am not good with blood or emergencies, so I immediately burst into tears and tried to stop the bleeding with a rag. I called Ryan, totally frantic and he thought it was an April Fool's Day prank. What kind of a sicko would tell someone their son has a massive head injury as an April Fool's Day joke?! He knew I was serious when he heard Lincoln screaming in the background because his dinner had been rudely interrupted.

Ryan got home (LATE!) a few minutes later and took over. Isaac had calmed down by then and was taking everything in stride. The bleeding stopped and Ryan decided that it was really just a superficial wound and that he would be okay. I called a friend, checked the internet and had the entire primary presidency (who had just showed up for a presidency meeting) look at it to get a second opinion. We sent Isaac to bed and checked on him all night long and he is still himself this morning, so I think we are okay. Here is a shot of his head this morning (don't worry, it's not too gory!)
Lessons learned? Head injuries bleed a lot. You can get blood stains out of carpet. Ryan should never be late again. I love my kids. I need a serious break from parenting. Good news--I am flying off to Chicago tomorrow to visit my sister (without the three older kids!!!)

Those of you that are shocked and appalled by this story must either not have kids or be much better parents than I am! But hopefully at least some of you can take comfort in the fact that I am honest about the realities of parenting, even on my blog!

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Aaarrrggh! Why is it they are always late on days like this?!?

Just think of all the guilt-trip mileage you'll get out of this! :-)

Jenni said...

Oh, and have a great trip! You've earned it, kiddo.

Kayla said...

oh, i'm sorry, but this really has me laughing out loud. really and truly I think that some day we'll be laughing about these years and telling stories. I'm so sorry for you -- I would have FREAKED out. Neither of my children have ever had a bloody emergency so I know I would have died. I'm glad it wasn't serious.

Priscilla said...

Have fun visiting your sister, you definitely deserve a little break! Hope Lincoln does well for you, especially on the trip there! (And I'm glad you were able to get the blood out of the carpet - eeeekkk!)

Anna M said...

Oh Lindsay, I'm so sorry! How is that little boys are so good at pushing the physical limits so well. We had a split head during conference after a little boy climbed onto the toy box after we told him not to do it...We understand!