Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Book Fair is on my bad list.

I have to vent. The book fair has come to Isaac's school. I remember how much I loved the book fair growing up. The smell of those new books mingling with the leftover cafeteria smells--it takes me back. But I am annoyed at Scholastic and their little book fair propaganda now that I am on the parent end of things. I don't mind that it exists--I am a big fan of books and opportunities to buy them. I just don't like their tricky little ways of enticing my kid. Here is what they do. They take the kids to the book fair during school and give them a special little paper to fill out called their "wish list." "Go ahead kids," say the Scholastic people, "Spend your valuable school hours filling out this paper with all the books you want your mommy to buy you. Then take it home and show her how much you love to read and how you need these books!" So, do I feel like the bad mom they want me to feel like because I am not going to encourage Isaac's love of reading by buying him the $80.00 worth of books on his list?! Heck no! Instead of handing him money, I will gladly hand him a library card and tell him he can get as many books as he wants.

4 comments:

keri said...

You are RIGHT! I always took my kids to the library also. I did buy a few because I love dthe books also. But we made many trips to the library.
Aunt Keri

Jenni said...

Half.com, baby. Brandon and I can spend hours perusing the website. I'm teaching my child to bargain shop. What a good Mormon mommy.

JacobandRyan said...

I have to defend the school Book Fair a bit (since I was supposed to be in charge of it!). Your school can take all of its sales in books, which adds up to hundreds of new books for the library. So, if you buy a book for Isaac, you are also buying one for him to check out at the library. That's not too bad, right?
Angie

Lindsay said...

Oh, don't worry Angie, we will support the school and buy each of our kids ONE book. It just bugs me that they take them out of school to fill out that wish list and get their hopes all up. They did it in our last school too. I feel like they are using the kids to make us feel obligated to buy things. And I don't like to feel pressured to buy anything! But, the book fair family night is on our calendar, because I'm not that mean of a mom!