Sunday, November 2, 2008

Advice wanted!!!

So, I'm a planner as you all know. Our ten year anniversary is in about a year and I want to go somewhere cool and exciting. Any ideas?! We've been thinking about New York City, The Pacific Northwest, Hawaii, Italy or Greece. Some of those places seem a bit far for me--I have actually NEVER left my kids before! So I'm probably a bit more comfortable staying in the U.S. I would love any suggestions of fun places. We aren't ones to sit around staring at a t.v. while on vacation--we like to be doing things, so that is important to us. I'm ready to start planning and budgeting, I just need a destination! Please comment!! That means you!

10 comments:

Erin said...

San Diego is always a great vacation spot. We love it!

Mean Mommy said...

New York City sounds like a blast for a go-go-go vacation. I've never been there, so I can't offer much advice, but...Broadway. *sigh*

Pacific Northwest would be a more outdoorsy kind of thing. I know there's an amazing Bed and Breakfast up there. If you decide you want to go that route, I can ask my SIL for details on the B&B and all the parks, hikes, etc. to hit. As long as you're there, I hear British Columbia is gorgeous. That's not too far out of the country. ;)

Niagra Falls is a romantic idea, but other than the Falls themselves and the novelty of getting Canadian money as change, there's not as much to do.

If you've never done one, a cruise is a fun idea. You get just about everything taken care of in one package. And there are shore stops for your out-and-doing-things-ness.

Another thought...Southern CA. There's San Francisco boardwalk, Ghirardelli square, Chinatown, San Diego, art museums, LA, theater. I have a source in CA too if you want insider details.

That's all I've got for now.

Anonymous said...

Italy or Greece, baby! If you go....GO BIG! Those would be amazing. San Diego does sound fun too. Where do you want to go the most?

Sarah said...

I'm partial to Europe (Italy in particular), as the food is AMAZING. Plus it's really old, and beautiful. Sean and I did Rome/Tuscany/Florence/Venice for our honeymoon and fell in love (with the country; we were already in love with each other :) ).

If you want to be closer to home, and you're going in October/November, I say New England/Boston. The fall colors are UNBELIEVABLE in Vermont/New Hampshire, and Boston is a great place to be a tourist. I lived there for 6 years so can pass on advice if you want it.

Instead of Hawaii, what about the Caribbean or Mexico (I love Cabo San Lucas, which is on the Pacific side, or you can go near Cancun and see the Mayan ruins)? Or even Costa Rica - they have rainforest and a volcano in addition to beach. Not sure that they're any further away than Hawaii is.

Unknown said...

My mom and I went to NYC 2 years ago for a Girls Weekend and I LOVED it! It's exhausting though--lots of GO GO GO to see all the sights. I adored it though and would go back in a heartbeat.

I'd love to see Boston/NE in the autumn. I think you can get a nice mix of being on the go and going a bit slower than you would in NYC.

Hawaii or somewhere with a beach would be great too--there's plenty to 'do' but there's also the beach for relaxing when you want it.

How fun! So many options.

The Bowler Five said...

Eric and I did a trip that started in New York City for a couple of days and then went on and spent ten days visiting church sites. It was so much fun!
If Eric were to suggest a place he would say Italy, he served his mission there.

Amy said...

Our 10 year is next year too. We have been talking about doing a cruise thru the Carribean. Cruises are so fun! And the best part is that you don't have to worry about your meals and such since it's all included in the price. Room/board/nightly entertainment all for one price. I went on a cruise a couple years ago and it was also the best nights sleep I ever got. The boat rocks you to sleep! :) And we were going nonstop. The food was good, the entertainment is clean since there are children present and you are at a differnt place every day. It's so fun!
I would love to go to Europe, but I think that will have to wait until the kids are older since if I go I'm going for a few weeks. Not going to happen with little ones still at home.

Priscilla said...

I echo your previous friends' comments that have mentioned cruises. I haven't done one with Chris, but I've been on a few with my family. They're all inclusive, which means you can relax without worrying about where to eat/sleep, etc. You could do one in Baja California, or the U.S. Virgin Islands for a very reasonable price. (Try www.Travelocity.com, or www.expedia.com, a couple of my favorites).
Of course I would be remiss if I didn't suggest one of our favorite destinations - Jackson Hole, WY. There are tons of opportunities for fun stuff if it's just the two of you, from gorgeous hotel suites with mountain views, to sleigh rides through the Elk Refuge, and of course skiing, aerial tram rides, awesome restaurants and a really fun downtown shopping experience. (Try www.jacksonhole.net for more info). Chris and I are also planning something big for our 10th next August, and it is daunting to think of leaving the kids for so long. That's my biggest obstacle - thinking of things I'd love to do alone with Chris is the easy part!

Jenni said...

I'd love to go to Mexico - not Tijuana Mexico - but cool Mexico. See Aztec Ruins, zip line in the jungle. You know, that kind of stuff.

Peru (Machu Pichu) is on my list, too.

Stohl Family said...

I would absolutely say New York! I loved every minute of our trip there! You are a goer so I know you would love it too.
My other suggestion would be Monterey, CA. So beautiful and fun. It would be a great place to go and relax. Or, how about San Francisco?
Kelly suggests Charleston, SC. Lots of history and the beach! What more could you ask for.
Let us know where you decide.