Saturday, July 19, 2008

Now I know why I'm crazy!!

"Parents of Twins are More Likely to Have Mental Health Issues"

Friday July 11, 2008
Results of a Finnish study of new parents found that mothers and fathers of twins were more likely to have symptoms of depression, anxiety, sleeping difficulties and other mental health problems than parents of singleton babies. The study was presented at the 24th annual meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology in an effort to support arguments in favor of reducing the number of multiple pregnancies as a result of assisted reproductive technology (ART).

The results of the study probably won't surprise most parents of multiples (especially the part about sleeping difficulties!) Having twins or multiples is stressful, especially during the first year. So it's important for parents to be aware of the risks, be alert for symptoms of serious problems, and seek support when necessary.

The only part I have to disagree with is that the first year is the most stressful. For me, each year has gotten WORSE!!!!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Yeah, I thought I was sleep deprived when Zach was a baby. Then I had my twins and I haven't recovered yet. I must say that sending them to preschool last year helped ME out more than it did the kids. I regained control of my life, found some new interests, and realized that I'm not just a mommy machine going from one kid to the next. I'm serious when I say preschool will be incredible--for you! (All of the insanity doesn't end, however. Sorry to burst your bubble!) And to think of all of those zillions of people out there who want to have twins...

Lucky Mommy said...

How did you find this too? I had prayed to use my time well this afternoon and that's when I saw the article! I guess that's what I needed to see most! Keep going, girl. It sounds like your girls are giving you a run for your money. I can only pray we survive until 1st grade.

Heidi, I want to slap people who say they always thought it would be "fun" to have twins. No effort at understanding the situation at all.