Saturday, July 12, 2008

We made it!


It really wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been! After an entertaining two hour drive, we pulled into camp at about 5:30 or so. It was entertaining because the kids were so excited about the camping trip, so everything we saw was a huge deal. We did see two deer along the side of the road. Soon after that we saw a bighorn sheep crossing sign, so the kids were on the look out for those. Chloe kept asking if the "mountain climbers" eat people and I was so confused until I realized she was talking about the bighorn sheep. We also saw a cool statue of Mary up on top of a mountain that sparked a lot of interesting discussion.

When we got there, my first priority was to set up the tent, but the guy in the campsite next to us must have doubted my abilities, because he came over and started helping me almost immediately. I'm sure I could have done it, but I didn't mind the help!

After the tent was up and our stuff inside of it, we ate dinner and then went for a walk collecting firewood. The girls were so excited to roast marshmallows, they didn't really even want to wait for the fire. We built a little fire and they got started on the marshmallows, while I continually collected firewood because the fire kept burning out. Things got a little crazy there for a while because for some reason I am like the Pied Piper and wherever I go, other people's kids flock to me. So there I was, trying to start a fire with my own three hovering kids and three other kids who were under the impression that I needed their help--and not another parent in sight!!!!! AAAACCKKK!!!

Anyway, we finished with our marshmallows, braved the bathrooms and then went over to the big fire with the rest of the ward where they were doing s'mores and campfire songs. We lasted for about an hour and then the kids were ready to hit the sack. The girls did wonderfully (which I was not expecting) but Isaac had quite a hard time calming down and falling asleep. It was pretty bad for awhile there...

The night was long and cold. There is a reason beds were invented and that is because people were not meant to sleep on the ground. Luckily, once the kids fell asleep they were out, but I on the other hand, never really did fall asleep because every time I rolled over I felt some rock or hard thing underneath me. Or maybe the flashlight I had confiscated from Isaac. All three kids did wake up in the middle of the night from the cold, so we added more layers and went back to sleep. (Well, they did.)

We woke up early and headed for the fire to warm up. There was a delicious breakfast waiting for us--breakfast burritos and blueberry pancakes. Then the kids went exploring while I started breaking down camp. They were supposed to stay together, but somehow that didn't end up happening. First Chloe came back and said that Audrey and Isaac were still together. Then some complete stranger came walking up with Audrey who had wandered into her camp. Yes, I am the Mother of the Year! How scary. Finally Isaac came back and I said NO MORE EXPLORING!!

We drove home and I was grateful for the two hour drive to give the kids a chance to catch up on their sleep. Now when do I catch up?! I still have to get a ton of stuff ready for Sharing Time tomorrow....

7 comments:

Stohl Family said...

I am so glad things went well, I was so nervous for you! I can't believe you still went without Ryan! What a woman!

Kayla said...

your kids look too clean! and what is a camping trip without a bit of exploring and getting lost. congrats on a sucessful trip.

Unknown said...

The opening line of your post cracked me up. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for next year! LOL

Let me tell you, there is a reason we've never attended a ward campout. Actually several reasons, and you've touched on most of them in your post. At least your kids had fun!

Dan said...

good job braving that adventure. I would have done the same thing. did you guess that we are moving to Seattle? Lara Abend is our realtor...I hope she sells our house. I am going out of my mind!
Genni

Shelly said...

Good for you for braving it! So I have a completely unrelated question for you. I noticed the link for making your blog into a book. . . have you actually done that before?

Lindsay said...

Shelly,
I haven't done it but I know a couple of people who have and have been really pleased with the result. I am waiting until Christmas so I will have a whole year at a time.

Jenni said...

The pictures are great! I love the very last one. Priceless. At least you got some great photography out of it, right?