Friday, July 18, 2008

Music Man


Isaac brought home his brand new recorder from school today. I have two questions. First of all, who on earth invented that thing? It has got to be the most annoying instrument on the planet. Second of all, who in their right mind came up with the brilliant idea to give it to a bunch of second graders?! We have had to make a few new house rules--no recorder in the car, no recorder in the kitchen, no recorder within a ten foot radius of me. In fact, the recorder has been banned to Isaac's room, with the door firmly shut. (Don't you love that picture? Audrey obviously shares my opinion of the recorder.)

On another note, Isaac is actually quite musical. He has been doing so well in piano lessons. His teacher told me the other day that he randomly transposed one of his songs from the key of G to the key of C. I said, "On accident?" Apparently even if it was on accident, this is quite a difficult skill! This week he has been transposing the song to every key he can figure out.

7 comments:

Jenni said...

That picture made me laugh out loud!

Kari said...

How funny is that picture?! LOL! You've got to frame that one.

Anna M said...

Way to go Isaac! My sister in law gave all the neices and nephews a recorder at my family reunion. What a sound!

Anonymous said...

I'm not even completely sure what musical keys are. I mean I know they exist... but how they work is way beyond me.

Mean Mommy said...

Ha! We had a recorder. It is now in pieces. In different boxes.

The transposing thing is way cool. It takes a good ear to hear the intervals in order to do that. (Even by accident.)

Claire said...

wow, Isaac's piano skills are impressive. Hopefully he'll keep up with that rather than the recorder :)

Unknown said...

I like the piano picture- it looks like he's playing super fast because his hands are a blur:) Good luck with the recorder...all I can say is earplugs.