Friday, June 13, 2008

The Natural...uh, maybe not.


Isaac started baseball season this past week. We had him in T-ball last year and it was fun. I come from a baseball family. My springs and summers as a child were spent roaming the ball field eating Fun Dip and sno-cones and watching my brother play. He was very talented and went on to pitch on his college team. Naturally I assumed that Isaac would be the same way.

Well...I think we might just need a little extra practice. He is by far the youngest kid on his team, and that isn't helping the situation much. When they started tossing the ball back and forth I think he actually caught it once in ten minutes. It is a coach-pitch league, which I think is good, he needs to learn how to hit without the tee, but he is the only one on the team that can't. It makes him nervous to play "real baseball."

Last night at practice they had him on first base and someone must have told him to tag the runner when he came. So the batter hit the ball and ran toward first. Someone fielded the ball and threw it toward Isaac. The ball sailed right past him. The runner got to first and Isaac turned to him and tagged him--as in "tag, you're it"--no ball in his hand, mind you, but he did tag the runner! So, yeah, a little lesson on the rules of baseball might also be in order!

Good news--tonight he had a game and he actually hit one of the balls the coach pitched him! Unfortunately, he forgot the whole run to first base part, but I was still very proud that he hit the ball!

(We are heading to Walmart first thing tomorrow morning to buy a bat and ball so we can start practicing!)

2 comments:

Jenni said...

All too familiar, my dear....all too familiar.

Matt's the soccer coach for a reason. Mom's protective.

Anonymous said...

Baseball is a complex game. Kristian used to skip around the bases and pick dandelions in the outfield. What memories. Email me the picture of Isaac looking through the fence. It is darling.