Sometimes (often, even) I feel like our family life is so stressful and unhappy. The kids are always fighting or not listening to me, I get so frustrated and stressed out and I know I yell way too much. But tonight something happened that completely changed my perspective.
Ryan and I were outside trying to work on the circuit breaker. (Ha, ha--he was working on the circuit breaker, I was holding the flashlight.) We heard a car drive up next door and Ryan happened to look over his shoulder. He then was an eyewitness to what amounts to domestic violence and/or child abuse. I only heard what happened. I don't need to go into much detail--the police were called and Ryan had to give a written statement. I stayed with the 13 year old victim and tried to help her calm down until the police got there. The police just barely left and this happened over an hour ago.
Seeing that situation tonight made me realize how blessed I am. I have lived my whole life in a little bubble. No, life never has been perfect, but compared to what I witnessed tonight--we truly are a happy family. It makes me so sad to think that those kids next door live in a house where they don't feel safe. They live in a home without love. It was obvious. Where are they headed? That poor girl is only 13 years old and she has an eight year old sister. It makes me sick.
I am so grateful for what I have. I am so grateful for my family and my husband. I am grateful for my parents that raised me with love. I realized tonight that our family may not be super-happy all the time, but we are a happy family most of the time--and we do love each other. And that is the most important thing.
Sorry for my cheesy post--I just wanted to share, I guess. Because I think most of us live in the same little bubble without realizing just how bad things can be for the people living right next door.
5 comments:
Great perspective. It is easy to lose sight of all that we do have.
I agree that sometimes we need a little reminder of just how great our lives really are. I also believe it was such a blessing that you were outside (way past your bedtime!) and were able to help.
My word.
Thanks for sharing. Certainly is important to be reminded...
umm...crazy neighbors? sorry.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I can absolutely relate. I forget, often, how blessed I have been in my life to be raised by two parents (who are married to each other) who love me and accept me for who I am. The longer I live, and the more I am aware of what goes on in my neighbors' homes, the more grateful I am. Thanks for the reminder that I need to be a little more aware of, and grateful for, the blessings I have in my happy little life.
Post a Comment