Well a few weeks ago I decided to give one a try--only for the purpose of finishing off a few Halloween costumes. I warned the kids ahead of time that thrift stores generally smell awful. Isaac asked me what they smelled like and I said, "Laundry." He said, "I like the smell of laundry." So I clarified, "DIRTY laundry." We held our breath and ventured in.
First surprise: the smell wasn't too bad! I mean, it wasn't Bath and Body Works, but it wasn't a men's locker room either. We were able to quickly find everything we needed for our costumes and for some reason I got the strange idea to look at real clothes too. I have needed jeans for quite a while now, so I thought, What the heck? Well I was blown away!! I found so many cute jeans--all name brands--then I remembered the kids needed snow boots, so we got them all a pair. (Insert cute pic of kids feet in their new snow boots here. Oh wait, that one is lost on our dead hard drive.) Well, then I found a couple (or five) skirts for me, jeans for the girls, a whole outfit for Lincoln to wear to an upcoming wedding ($2.50 total!). Then there was a belt for me, jeans for Ryan, a tie for Isaac and on and on. I left that store a changed woman.
We went back yesterday for more treasures. Winter dresses for all the girls in the family, more jeans (Gap, Old Navy, Ralph Lauren), a dress coat (Children's Place) for the girls (we already had one), jeans (Gap) for Lincoln and church shoes for the three older kids. I AM HOOKED!!! I had no idea that you could get good quality, name brand clothes at these places! My new goal is to try to get most of our clothes there this coming year. Well except lingerie. I have to draw the line somewhere.
Here we are in the some of our "new" clothes--my dress (Ann Taylor) and the girls dresses and shoes!

And look what else we found yesterday! I have ALWAYS wanted one of these!!! A childhood fantasy fulfilled!!!
10 comments:
Yay! I'm glad you had some thrifting success. I remember the thrift store of my youth smelling like cat litter. Ew! The ones by us now are great!
Thrift stores can have great hidden gems. Looks like you found some great things. I am SO sorry about your computer. I feel sick for you losing all your photos and files.
All three of you looked really cute today!
I always say I should look at thrift stores but then never do. Maybe I should start a new leaf.
Hi Lindsay, This is Kristian. I would like it if you would talk more about all of the lingerie you are planning on buying this year. Thank you.
Amy, we should go together without kids! We can make a day of it.
Kristian--I'll be sure to post a lot more about lingerie just for you.
It is true...if you find a good thrift store you are forever hooked!!! And it is even better if they have half off days....then it is even cheaper than cheap!!!!LOVE it!
And THIS is precisely how the addiction starts! (mu ha ha ha ha) although I rarely buy clothes for me, only because they take a long time to look through and usually need to be tried on, I have found some really great stuff for Maren! A few weeks ago I found a NWT Talbot's Kids seersucker 2-piece seersucker suit for Porter. Of course it won't fit him for a few years, but it was a steal so it's worth holding onto until then!
I always wanted a Chia Pet too! It was those darn commercials. You need to plant it and blog its progress. :) I did find a Mr. T chia pet at a thrift once but I sold it on eBay.
if this is the one by your house I should have tried it a long time ago like I have wanted to! But, every time we never have enough time to hit it up! I will make the time next time!
I'm in. Let's go. I had no idea we had good thrifting around here until you told me. I thought they were far away, but it must be close enough if you're going.
i had a chia-head in college. I LOVED that thing. It grows really quickly and is so easy to tend to. the kids will love it. ah..I miss my chia head (he was a hippie with glasses..too funny)
I have always wanted a chia pet also! I really should show the kids what they are.
Post a Comment