A few days ago we noticed a new hole in the planter in front of our house. My mom speculated it was a mole which kind of grossed me out. This afternoon we saw a bunny sitting on the hole and she wasn't moving despite the fact that we were really close. I had a feeling that something was up and I was trying to tell the kids not to scare her when she got spooked and took off running--revealing three BRAND NEW baby bunnies in the hole. Like so new they didn't have hair or open eyes yet--I think she may have been
giving birth when we came upon her (poor thing.) I quickly ushered the kids inside so that she would come back and she did come back and cover up the hole. I have researched baby bunnies a bit and apparently the mothers usually keep them hidden during the daytime to protect them. Well, Mother Rabbit (as she has been named) has kept my kids occupied all afternoon. And then we really got a show when Father Rabbit came home from work (at least that is where Chloe decided that he had been.) The kids were delighted to watch the rabbits frolic on the grass and when the rabbits started giving "horsey-back rides" I decided that we would give them their privacy...
Maybe we will be getting some more baby ones soon!!
These aren't the ones from our yard (like I would pick those up!) but this is what they looked like.
1 comment:
That's awesome...as long as you don't have a weak stomach. I'd like updates with pictures. And maybe a naming contest or something like that. I see good fun in the future.
Post a Comment