
The girls just got home from their big Valentine's Party at school. When I was a child, I remember being thrilled if someone stuck one conversation heart in the little white envelope that came with the store-bought Valentine. Times have changed... The girls came home with so much loot that I feel like such a loser mom--I only sent along cookies with our Valentines. They got heart-shaped mylar balloons, tons of candy, cookies, pencils, toys and (I kid you not) gift certificates for free food at McDonalds! Mind you, there are only eight kids in the class and two of them are mine. I realized I had royally screwed up when we got to school and I saw the other kids carrying in presents for the teacher--potted plants and boxes of chocolates. Who knew? I'm lucky if I can get my own husband something for Valentine's Day, but apparently now it is the trend to spend a small fortune on your kids' classmates and their teacher. I always thought I would be one of those cute moms that is on top of it all, but I'm so not there. Maybe by the time Lincoln is in school...
6 comments:
I was thinking the same thing when I drop Kyan off at school today!! The little girl I car pool with and a nice gift for the teacher. Oh well, maybe next years teacher will score a present.
No kidding. Sarah's going to school with valentines we printed out at home. If I make it to the store tonight, maybe we'll staple a small candy to the back...
On the other hand, she's in the other room composing poems to go with the cards, so I think her valentines rock.
Wow...guess I better start up a savings account just for Valentines. Tyler only has 4 kids in his preschool and I thought, wow, this is going to be time consuming when he's really in school, I guess I underestimated how time consuming.
That's crazy. Christmas was less than two months ago. Do we need a second round already? I thought you were on top of it for doing cookies! Little did I know, either. Mylar balloons? What in the world?
What are we setting up our kids for- with the expectations for life! I am happy with the Valentine's in the shoe box.
I'm rebelling. My kids got the cheapest lollipops I could find this year. And in the spirit of complete "stick-it-to-ya-ness," I went out and bought conversation hearts at 75% off for next year.
Post a Comment