Today I got a call from the school nurse. She started off the conversation by saying, "Thank goodness you are home!" Not the kind of call you want to get from the school nurse.
She then proceeded to tell me that Isaac had been sledding at recess and had somehow gotten wet. I thought, well of course he did--he didn't have any snow pants on so I'm sure he got a little damp. She suggested I bring him a change of clothes or even come get him so he could go home and take a hot shower. I thought that was kind of overkill, but whatever.
When I walked into the nurses office, the principal, the nurse and Isaac's teacher were all crowded around him on a bed. He was bundled up in like 4 oversized fleece blanket and sipping hot chocolate. The principal was very apologetic that this had happened and pointed out a bag of sopping wet clothes on the floor. His clothes were all so wet he wasn't wearing any of them. (Luckily the school keeps random extra clothes on hand--he was wearing shorts, a t-shirt, black socks, someone's underwear! and one of the teacher's sweatshirts.) We got him out to the car on a rolling chair (his boots were also too wet to wear.) Once we were alone I asked him what on earth had happened that he got so wet while sledding.
Apparently he had been sledding down a hill and landed in the creek! (It was a high of 25 degrees today.)
Me: "What did you do then?"
Isaac: "I swam to the shore."
Me: "The water was so deep you had to swim?!"
Isaac: "Yeah. My feet didn't touch the bottom."
Me: "Did you go underwater?"
Isaac: "Yeah, but my head just popped right out."
Me: "Did you break through ice?"
Isaac: "I don't know--my feet went through first."
We got him home and into the hot shower. As he was drinking some hot chocolate to get warmed up further he said, "I don't think I'm going to go sledding at recess anymore." I said, "Yeah, after this little incident, I don't think anyone in the school is going to be going sledding at recess anymore."
Yup, that's my boy.
5 comments:
THAT is an awesome story. :) That's the type of thing that ends up as family legend, told and retold.
Good thing for swimming lessons!
OMG
scary! good thing he knows how to swim. not good for the school at all. Liability.
"Glad you were home" is an understatement! Did Isaac get to stay home or did he have to go back to school?
He had to go back to school
Post a Comment