Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Motivation

A few months ago the girls' best friend was able to buy her own American Girls doll after saving and working hard for months and months. My girls thought that was pretty cool, so they decided to try it too. Let me tell you, it has been wonderful to get them to work around the house!! Anytime I need something done I just open it up to the kids and tell them how much the job is worth and I almost always get someone to do it. I have only scooped Kirby's poop once because that is a pretty high paying job. Ryan made all four kids little charts that they color in--each square is $0.25. We have tried motivating them with little prizes and even money before, but having something specific that they are saving for has been the best motivation ever. The girls hung up pictures of the dolls they are saving for next to their charts--Audrey is now saving for two different ones!

And the boys are even more ambitious. Isaac started saving for a Wii game, but has since upgraded to an ipad. So technically he will need to fill in six charts. Hmm... And Lincoln is saving for a $3.00 Lightening McQueen car and the "park" he saw at Sam's. That costs $997.00.

Maybe he will get it by the time he is about 14.

2 comments:

Kayla said...

i love this. think of all the valuable lessons your children are learning: the value of work, helping out at home, earning money, tithing, saving, goal setting, etc! and, i love the 25 cent chart! brilliant! i'm sure this is helping A&C learn their money values which they do in first grade math! love it all! i can't wait for them to reach their goals, it truly is rewarding.

Rochelle said...

The "park" Lincoln is saving for had me laughing out loud. I am definitely going to have to try this with my kids.