Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Veggies R Us

Well the bread was a hit, the bread pudding was a hit and the kids didn't even notice the vegetables I snuck into the meatloaf last night! Tomorrow morning we are trying whole wheat carrot pineapple muffins.

Heidi G. commented about my incredible bread pudding and I have to agree with her--it is divine (in my humble opinion.) However, one of the main ingredients is heavy whipping cream which is why I only save it for special occasions and very rarely serve it to my kids (I usually bust it out for Christmas morning.) But here is the much healthier version I concocted for this morning.

Lindsay's Vegetable-laden Healthier Breakfast Bread Pudding :)

2 egg whites
2 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup Splenda
2 cups fat free milk
1 cup light vanilla soy milk
1 loaf Sweet Potato Yeast Bread, cut into cubes (see previous post for recipe)

Whisk eggs, sugars, and milks in a large bowl. Spray a casserole dish. Arrange bread in the dish. Pour the egg mixture over the bread. Stir, cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.

The only problem I have with this recipe and the last is that they are too good--I end up eating more of it than I should. Ah, well.

Tonight I am thinking of trying to make my regular wheat bread recipe with sweet potato added in just to see what it does. I'll let you know (if you care at all--I can get a bit obsessed with things sometimes, I know.)

Jennifer--I did buy that V8 Fusion juice this past week (the light Peach Mango flavor) and my kids did love it. The only problem is with four kids it didn't last very long and it is kind of pricey. I think I will pick up a few bottles every week though. I am determined to do this!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Heavy whipping cream? Well, NO WONDER it is so good! LOL The healthier version sounds pretty good too. :)

Unknown said...

And I just had another thought RE the V8 juice...how much would it cost to buy a juicer so you could make your own version of the V8 Fusion? I'm guessing it's around $3 per bottle--how many bottles would you have to buy to pay for the juicer? Of course then you have to also buy the fruits/veggies to actually make into the juice, but maybe if you could get a good deal on a juicer (Craigslist?) it would be worth it.

Katie Seamons said...

I would think you would be better off just stocking up of the V8 during a sale instead of doing the juicer. Juicers in my opinion on a pain to clean (although I don't have a dishwasher...maybe they aren't so bad if you do) and the fruit would have to be quite juicy to really get enough juice, or buy a lot of fruit. probably would cost the same if not more just to make it yourself. But...if you want to try it we have one of those Jack whatever fancy juicers that we got for our wedding that we could experiment with next time we come down. I've only unsed it once. Which we need to get together soon anyway. I feel as though it has been a long time! sorry about the novel!

Rebecca said...

I look forward to trying this tomorrow, thanks for the healthy recipes.