Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Food Guide Pyramid Woes


I consider myself a very healthy eater. I always try to give our kids a variety of nutritious foods, limit sweets, only use ground turkey, drink lots of milk and soy milk, grind my own wheat to make my own bread (and I always add ground flaxseed) etc., etc. But the other day I was looking at the Food Guide Pyramid for kids and I read that they are supposed to be eating 2 1/2 cups of vegetables a day! Not fruits and vegetables--just vegetables. There is no way on earth my kids are getting that many veggies! So this week I have been on a new quest of increasing our veggie intake. I don't know if we will ever get up to the daily recommendation, but I figure we will give it our best shot. I have been sneaking them in here and there--tonight's meatloaf has grated carrots and green peppers in it (we will see if they notice.) And yes, I'm sure some of you will suggest it--I ordered Deceptively Delicious. Last night I concocted a recipe for this morning's breakfast that was divine!!! (Okay--techinically I found a recipe and altered it so that it was more healthy. I can't take too much credit for this!) I thought I would share...

Lindsay's Sweet Potato Yeast Bread

2 TBSP. yeast
1 3/4 cup warm water
1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (don't add anything, just fork mash the cooked potatoes)
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup honey
1 egg
2 tsp. salt
3 + cups whole wheat flour
3 1/2 cups white flour
1 TBSP. cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cups chopped walnuts

In a large bowl, disolve yeast in warm water. Add sweet potatoes, applesauce, honey, egg, salt and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough white flour to make a soft dough. Let rise one hour.

Punch dough down. Divide into two loaves; put into greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise an additional 30 minutes to one hour.

Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. (Cover loosely with foil to avoid browning too quickly.)

I served one loaf this morning with fat free cream cheese for added protein. The other loaf I made in breakfast bread pudding for tomorrow morning's breakfast. It is soooo good!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh, that does sound good! I bet it will be fab in the bread pudding tomorrow morning (I LOVE your bread pudding!)

Unless you're a vegetarian, I have no idea how anyone can manage to eat the total amount of veggies & fruits the Food Pyramid calls for each day. I think the amounts are crazy! I guarantee we don't and I feel like I'd have to be force-feeding myself baby carrots all day long to get even close. I think the only way to do it is to do the Deceptively Delicious thing and sneak them into just about everything else you make. I'll look forward to your recipe reviews from the book!

Mean Mommy said...

I am so going to have to try this! Thanks for the recipe.

Erin said...

It looks yummy. I'm going to have to try it and you will have to post your bread pudding recipe too!

Jennifer said...

I buy V8 Fusion for my kids. Each glass is a full serving of fruits and vegetables and the kids think it tastes great. There is even a light version with less calories. Easy way to get that veggie serving!

That recipe sounds delicious!

Mean Mommy said...

I finally got around to making this. Fabulous!! Everyone loved it. Thanks again!