Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Lincoln qualified!


Well, Lincoln had his official assessment today and qualified for speech therapy with flying colors! :) I had a feeling it wouldn't be a problem. It was very interesting to talk to the speech therapists about him and hear their observations. They reaffirmed what we thought--he has no trouble hearing, understanding and processing information (i.e. he is very smart)--he just has a hard time getting the words to work. They also said that he is a very good non-verbal communicator (we were also very aware of that.) I'm glad we started this process now. As they were asking me to set some six month goals for them, I asked if it was realistic to expect him to be up to an age-appropriate level of communication after six months of weekly speech therapy and they said NO! Wow! They also said how communication becomes even more important for other types of cognitive development as children grow older, so this is a crucial time for him. I just want him to be able to tell us what he wants and needs! For the most part he does a great job by pointing and grunting, but at this age he should be able to say up to 50 words and he doesn't even say Mama! (He definitely knows who I am though!)

Anyway, I am excited to get started! We will be having a speech therapist come to our house every week to work with us.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Don't worry about Lincoln. He might not get up to his age level in six months, but he'll get there. When Bryan was three he qualified for speech and now we can't get the boy to stop talking! I know what you mean though about just wanting to know what the kid is saying! Bryan's language at age three consisted totally of vowel sounds. I finally figured it out, but it was hilarious to watch other people try to figure out what the boy was saying!

Kayla said...

congrats Lincoln. I'm glad you'll have the peace of mind that you have this all figured out now.

Unknown said...

Maren had speech therapy from the time she was about 17 months until she was 3. I am so thankful we were able to have the therapy! Everyone 'older' that I know (ie, my mom, MIL, grandmas, aunts, etc) said that she would get around to talking when she felt like it and to some point I agreed with them--but if I had access to resources that could help her NOW, why wouldn't I take advantage of them? I agree about it being a crucial time in their development. And it's SO nice to have the therapist who will come to your house instead of you having to haul everyone to an office!

YouHaveHowMany? said...

I have heard they are fabulous! I am glad you'll get some piece of mind!

*Lindsey* said...

Cody finally started talking in sentances at 3, and I am putting him in a preschool that works with him for his speech. I think it's so important for them to be around kids there own age, so they can pick up things on their own too. As his parents, Cody had us trained for everything that he wanted, so he never had to use words.