A few months ago, when Ryan and I really started to get into cycling and I was looking for a race to train for, a friend suggested we try a triathlon relay. Within a few days we had two teams formed--husbands vs. wives and we were ready to go! Ryan and I were the cyclists for our teams, our friends the Hendricks were the runners and our friends the Ames were the swimmers. Yesterday was the big day.
The Nerd Herd (they chose their own team name. Three engineers...)
The Better Halves
I was really nervous going into it. Not really about the actual biking part--my leg was only 11.5 miles so not a big deal. But the logistics of everything. This is the first time in my entire life I have done anything competitive that did not involve singing. I have never considered myself athletic at all. So a real race with other real racers really intimidated me. Luckily we had our swimmers, Michael and Libby who have done multiple triathlons and knew the ropes. I was so glad that they were there to walk us through it all!!
Here they are explaining to all of us novices.
We got up super early in the morning (MANY thanks to other friends who took our kids overnight so that we could do this!) We were at the race venue by about 6:40 am. We got checked in and walked through the course and got everything figured out. Before we knew it, it was time to head down to the beach and get started! Our wave was at 8:15am. Michael and Libby started us out with what I considered to be a heroic swim. Heroic because it was freaking cold outside!!! Thank goodness for wetsuits, I guess!
Ryan and I hurried up to get in our positions and wait for the swimmers in the transition area. They both came fast and we transferred the timing chips from ankle to ankle and we were off! (Ryan left maybe 5 minutes before I did.)
Going into this I had thought that I wasn't very competitive and that I wouldn't even bother to try to pass anyone (there were all these rules about drafting and how you have only 20 seconds to pass that made me nervous.) I had previously done the 11.5 miles in about 54 minutes. Well, something came over me when I got out there and I just went for it. I pushed myself so hard. And I was passing people left and right! Sure, I was getting passed myself, so it's not like I was the best BY FAR, but still I was pretty dang proud of myself. Especially when I found out that I did the ride in 40 minutes!! I beat my PR by 14 minutes!!!!
I could barely stand up when I got off the bike, but I made my way over to Jen to transfer the timing chip to her and then take a breather. Whew! I was really tired! And I am feeling it in my legs today, let me tell you!! Cameron and Jen did great on their runs and we were done! The triathlon people provided a yummy (if not remotely healthy) BBQ lunch for us afterwards.
It was so much fun!!!! I loved the whole atmosphere of the race, the camaraderie of having a team, the way perfect strangers cheered for you as you made your way up the final hill. I love, love, loved it!! I have already been researching the next one I want to enter. And I've decided next time I'm going all the way--yes, you will see me in a (gulp) wetsuit. I'm going to do an individual triathlon. I don't know when--we are about at the end of the season. But I love having a goal to train for! Yahoo!
1 comment:
Congratulations, Lindsay! That's an awesome time. Glad you enjoyed your race, too. It is addicting, isn't it! Good luck on your future tri! Yikes! I don't think I could swim it.
Post a Comment