Saturday, January 9, 2010

Thinking of changing the name of our blog...

to General Hospital.

We certainly have more than enough drama.

Lincoln was in the hospital all day again yesterday after an asthma attack. We are all exhausted. We saw his doctor again today and she was able to answer some questions. Like, "I thought he was on controller medicine so this wouldn't happen again." Her response: the controller medication prevented it from being much, much worse. He wasn't even admitted this time! Me: "Why does this keep happening?" Her: He just caught another virus that triggered the attack. It is that time of the year. Me: "Was I overreacting by calling the on-call doctor and taking him to the ER yesterday?" Her: Absolutely not. The sooner they can get him on steroids the better.
(I always like hearing that I did the right thing, because I do tend to overreact.)

Anyway--this is what I am getting: He has asthma all the time. When he gets sick it triggers severe respiratory issues that are somewhat lessened by the twice daily controller medications, but they don't cure the asthma. Anyway, here is my real question: Should I just ban him from going to nursery altogether so that I don't have to keep paying out an arm and a leg to take him to the ER every few weeks???

p.s. I don't know why this is in such large font, but I don't have the energy to deal with it anymore.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ugh, Nursery. AKA, The Petri Dish. If you that's where he's picking up the viruses (as opposed to your bigger kids bringing them home from school) then it might not be a bad idea to keep him out of there for at least a little while, until cold/flu season has abated. Of course then you & Ryan have to chase him during church, but it might be worth it if it keeps him healthy.

Rochelle said...

Lindsay. Seriously. Ridiculous. I'm sorry and I hope it gets better. I'm with Heidi on the Nursery thing but then you do have to wrestle a wiggly baby for 3 hours which is just not ideal, especially given your callings right now. Yuck.

Erin said...

Frustrating. I'm not sure what I would do but sick kids are no fun.

Heidi said...

I agree with the others. Nursery isn't the place for kids who could end up at the ER--regularly. Maybe you could have someone else be called to be his personal nursery teacher and bring your own toys to play with. Isolation, not fun--but healthy, worth it.

Kayla said...

just. stay. home. you and ryan can take turns. and invest in hand sanitizer and clorox wipes i guess. i'm so sorry.