Monday, March 17, 2008
Happy St. Paddy's Day!
Despite my maiden name and natural hair color, I actually don't have a drop of Irish blood in me. Ryan and the kids do however, and we like to take St. Patrick's Day pretty seriously. I think it is fun to try to teach the kids a bit about their heritage and eat good food at the same time! This year the girls helped me make the traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage. Here they are washing the red potatoes that are used in the dish.
We also made Irish Soda bread to go with our meal (the rest of the food was just American stuff, but still yummy.) Here we are with our finished dish, all ready to eat! (Notice that Audrey has changed shirts...the girls change clothes like 15 times a day. Today they were limited in their choices because they knew if they didn't wear green their big brother would certainly notice and take advantage.)
We invited a man from our church over to celebrate the holiday with us. His wife is sick, in hospice and not expected to be around much longer and he likes to spend time with families. I was a little worried because our kids can be crazy when company comes over, but he had them all wrapped around his finger by the end of the night.
He even brought stories to read to them. We had a fun time and I think he didn't get too overwhelmed by our out-of-control brood. Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You go girl! You put my green Pasta Roni to shame! :-)
What a cool tradition! Looks like your kids really enjoyed themselves.
How fun! Everyone here in Chicago talked about my red hair on St. Patty's Day so I had to lie and tell them that I was Irish. Are you counting down the days until you visit? Because I am...
ooh real Irish food??? what a great idea...we just turn every thing green! ha
Such a good idea to invite someone over to share fun family traditions.
Post a Comment