Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Disruption

What did I tell you?!  The perfectly functioning wheels and cogs of my life have been disrupted.  I have some sort of a stomach bug and it is really throwing a wrench in things.  I HATE being sick.  And not just for the obvious reasons of not liking to feel bad, but even more for the fact that I don't like my life being messed with.  I have things to do!  I don't have time to be sick!  I hate watching my house fall apart around me.  I hate not being able to do the things I planned.  I missed out on my beloved Tuesday alone time yesterday--instead of starting the day with swim class followed by an eight-miler, I, um, slept.  And then after months of eating carefully chosen, sugar and white-flour free, clean foods, I spent yesterday eating Stauffer's animal crackers, because that was the only thing that sounded remotely appealing.  This needs to end.  Now.

On the plus side, this week is the girls' standardized test, so we aren't doing homeschool today or tomorrow--just the break I need when feeling like this!!  Small mercies.

In other news, I am hereby declaring the once-a-month shopping experiment a failure.  It's just not for me.  I still have another week to go, but I ended up going to Albertson's on Friday.  The sale on tilapia was just too good to resist and we were getting low on eggs and I NEED fresh produce.  I did learn a lot and I think shopping every 2 weeks will be fine for us.  And I am going to try to start really using coupons and ad-matching more than I have been to save money that way.  I'm still trying to figure out the couponing thing.  I am wondering if manufacturers have become wise to people's coupon stacking and have come up with ways to combat it, because I can't for the life of me figure out how people make money couponing--at least not with the coupons I have and the stores I shop at.  If I can figure it out, I'll share the secret.

1 comment:

Amy said...

The reason why they make money is because they load up on the processed, prepackaged, sugar loaded garbage. If you notice when you watch Extreme Couponing everything they put into their cart is the crap that you will never even glance at let alone put into your cart. Seriously, they buy cases of candy, Hamburger Helper, Stouffers, Gatorade, etc.
Occasionally they will have toothpaste and other bathroom items but really, do you need 5,000 tubes of toothpaste in your stock pile? 5 maybe, but not 5,000.
Until they have coupons for real food, I'm not really doing it.