
I was so excited to make my cleaning supplies on Saturday and I woke up feeling miserable. I still managed to make them all, but Ryan finally told me to lay down and rest. I had intended to only lay down for a few minutes but I never ended up getting back off the couch! I was so sick!! So I got to try out all of my new supplies today! I'll admit I was a little concerned--a main ingredient in many of the cleaners is vinegar. I worried that anyone walking into my house was going to think we were dyeing Easter Eggs or something. But I had no need to worry! There is also a few drops of essential oils in the cleaners and I couldn't smell vinegar at all. Instead my whole house smells like lavender and I didn't want to stop cleaning because it smelled so good!! As far as I could tell everything worked and cleaned just as effectively as the store brands I had been buying. My only issue was with the toilet bowl cleaner--I think I just need to figure out a better way to bottle that one. The only 2 ingredients in it are baking soda and vinegar, and anyone who has ever made an 8th grade science project volcano knows how that goes.

I also did laundry today...as far as I can tell the clothes are clean! Kayla, maybe we should do some sort of a science project of our own--Tide vs. Homemade?? Here is my supply of detergent--you only have to use 1 to 2 TBSP per load!!! And that blue stuff is my homemade fabric softener! :)
1 comment:
I did some studying about homemade/natural cleaners a little while ago and decided I'd rather just use toxic chemicals to clean my toilets than scrub them like crazy by hand like women used to have to do before the advent of 'modern' cleaners. Because basically what you gain in 'natural' you give up in convenience/time. That is why the chemical-based cleaners were invented in the first place--they were a push to make household tasks faster/easier to free up women so they could do other things besides clean all day long (see also automatic dishwasher, washing machine, dryer). Because if vinegar and baking soda were so easy and fast to use and required less scrubbing, then housewives never would have switched from using those in the first place! Toilet cleaner is basically the most toxic household cleaner there is, but I'd rather use it and trade off on homemade laundry detergent where it's a little less critical that you kill all the nasties and there's less toilet scrubbing by hand involved.
Post a Comment