1. Cut the girls' hair. Ryan takes care of the boys--himself included--and me (that's a bonus to have long, straight hair--your husband can cut it for free.) For some reason, the girls' hair was a bit harder than I anticipated. It was supposed to just be a trim. Poor Audrey suffered through a week of a really bad haircut, then I finally had to get the scissors out again and try to fix it. Oh well, hopefully I'll get the hang of it eventually! Does this picture tell you what they think of their new hair cuts?? Savings: at least $25.00

2. Make my own dog food. I wasn't sure if this would save any money, but it was worth a try. It is certainly healthier for him. Savings: (not much, but some!) $5.60 every 2 weeks.




3. Make my own cleaning supplies! I am really excited about this one!!! Most of the ingredients are super-cheap and easily found. And it is all so much safer to have around the house and much, much better for the environment! I just emptied out a bunch of old cleaning bottles, washed them out and then made them cute.

I haven't had a chance to make all of the cleaners yet, but my plan is to do it tomorrow. Today I did do the dishwasher detergent, though! Look at this cute container I found at the thrift store for it! I will be keeping it out on the counter!

I am doing all of the regular household (kitchen, bathroom, all-purpose) cleaners, anti-bacterial sprays, dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent and fabric softener. Savings: hopefully a ton, but I don't really feel like figuring it all out right now. I do know that the laundry detergent alone costs half as much as what I have been paying--and I don't buy the pricey laundry detergents!!!

4. Made my own protein bars!! Savings: $4.42 a week (at least!)

Well, I may be crazy, but we all knew that anyway. I just like doing things. And my house is done, so I needed something new to focus on! You can never go wrong focusing on saving money!!
4 comments:
i thought the girl's haircuts looked darling last sunday. the dog food seems like a smart idea. i told you before and i told you again -- nothing will ever beat Tide. it's worth every penny IMO. And the protien bars -- awesome! they look yummy and i bet they are healthier for you than the packaged ones. you'll have to let me know what you think about the cleaners.
Just remember your time is worth something. :)
Mom, you must have missed the part where I said I was excited about it! I wouldn't do it if I didn't want to.
I have been making my own laundry detergent for a while now. I have been doing a liquid version. Next time I am going to try doing a more concentrated powder version that costs more but maybe it will work even better! I also heard that if you microwave the fels naptha it will literally turn to powder. Much easier than shredding it! I would like a follow up post on the cleaning supplies talking about how you like them. :)
Post a Comment