


We went to Mt. Falcon, where, in the early 1900's a man named John Walker built himself a castle. Unfortunately, it was struck by lightening in 1918 and he never rebuilt it, but the ruins are still there. It was a beautiful hike and I found that castle to be fascinating. It was huge. They had some pictures up there of what it looked like before it burned down, but try as I might, I can't find any on Google. :( Bummer.


Mr. Walker also decided that the Presidents of the U.S. needed a summer home in the Rockies, so he started construction on a castle for them, too. That one never got completed, but we hiked up and saw its foundation anyway. It would have been one heck of an incredible summer home for Obama.



We saw tons of deer as we were out and about.

And how appropriate that as we reached the top of Mt. Falcon, we caught sight of five large birds overhead. Falcons? I have no idea. But it was still cool.
After we got home from our hike, we ate dinner and then made a fire and roasted marshmallows. Then we camped out in our camper in the backyard for the night. Perfect start to the summer!!!




Much, much more fun to come!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment