When we first moved into this house, almost 3 years ago, we knew the eyesore of a backyard would have to be a priority. We had a few other priorities that came first, but when this summer hit we were ready to beautify the back. I knew exactly what I wanted. A nice big deck and lots of green grass. Then Ryan started talking about doing a patio instead. I couldn't really envision what he was talking about, so I balked. I wanted a deck, a nice wooden deck. Like the kind I had growing up. I wanted something level with the house. How on earth would a patio accomplish this? Ryan wanted a patio that was level with the house. That seemed like a lot more work than a deck. He agreed but said that it would be much lower maintenance once it was finished. And so back and forth we went. Finally, although I still had no idea what he was really envisioning, I relented.
And I have to admit, my husband is brilliant. Yes, it has been hard work. (No, it's not done.) But because we were planning to get rid of the back planter anyway, we were able to reuse all of the rocks, flagstone and filler dirt. In all we have spent a mere $150 on this patio so far. I have a feeling the deck might have been a wee bit more expensive...and we would have had to get rid of a ton of rocks, flagstone and dirt. Look at what he has accomplished!!!

We have been sitting out there at night and talking. We have never been able to do that in this backyard before. I can't wait until it is all finished!
No comments:
Post a Comment