Saturday, July 3, 2010

A night in a tipi


Audrey wants to be an Indian (Native American) when she grows up. It is a lofty goal. To show our support, I booked us a tipi to stay in down in Larkspur on Thursday night.

Unfortunately, both Isaac and I had been feeling under the weather the whole week and I wasn't sure if we were going to be able to go. I slept all day Thursday and had decided that the last thing I needed was a night in a tipi, but when the girls heard that I wasn't going to be joining them, they were devastated. Against my better judgment, I decided at the last minute to go with them.

Of course, since I had been sick and sleeping all day, absolutely nothing was done to prepare for our trip. The tipi is located only about 30 minutes from our house, so I thought we would just fly by the seat of our pants. Isaac and I both wore the clothes we had been sleeping in all day (and we slept in them that night and wore them home the next day!) I knew I had no energy to get the food together to cook anything, so we got dinner to go and ate it in the car on the way. I didn't pack any clothes for us to change into, any soap, any toothbrushes, NOTHING. We told the kids to get their own stuff and put it in the car. Somehow we ended up without sleeping bags for Chloe or Isaac. Isaac didn't even have a pillow. But we did have 2 American Girls dolls, a pioneer bonnet and a purple jump rope. You know, the important stuff.

We had a lot of fun. The place we stayed was so cute and quirky and kid friendly. They had a place for the kids to "dig" for "dinosaur bones" as well as a place where they could "mine" for "gems."


They had pedal carts that we had a lot of fun with.

There was also a park and a pool and a lot of planned group activities that we didn't participate in. It was a beautiful night and we explored a bit, then headed back to our campfire where we roasted marshmallows and made s'mores. We also told campfire stories which was just hilarious. Lincoln was full of them. "Once upon a time there was a tiger. Chasing a buffalo. The end." "Once upon a time there was a ghost. Chasing a ghost. The end." Over and over. We also attempted to teach the kids some classic campfire songs. It was fun!

Sleeping in a tipi...not so much. I can't sleep in things that don't have real walls, I guess. Even on an air mattress. Oh well, the kids loved it.

We got up in the morning and headed home bright and early. Next time we go we will definitely spend more time there--hopefully we will all be feeling 100%. I'm glad I went even though I was seriously dragging the whole time.

No comments: