
Yesterday it was once again up to me to keep the kids occupied and preferably out of the house so that Ryan could work uninterrupted on his project for school (his LAST class EVER as long as he passes!! :) ) We spent the morning at the pool for swim lessons, but the afternoon loomed long and empty ahead of us. I needed to go to Albertsons to take advantage of a few ads and I figure the kids can never get too much exercise, so I got the great idea that we would go on a walk to Albertsons. It is only 1.7 miles (one way.) Of course I didn't realize until we were halfway there that it is uphill the whole way, which wouldn't be bad if it wasn't very sunny outside and if I hadn't been pushing the double stroller with two kids in it. Anyway, I had to be careful in the way I billed this plan of mine to the kids. Just telling them we were going on a walk wasn't going to cut it, so I told them we were going on a "pioneer adventure." After all, the pioneers walked everywhere they went. The girls were all for doing it barefoot, you know, to keep things historically accurate, but I thought that might be going a bit too far.
It took us two hours to get there, buy our stuff and get home. It was actually pretty fun--the kids asked all kinds of questions about the pioneers and we talked about "being green." I let them each choose an ice cream bar for the trip home and we loaded the back of the stroller with our four cases of Diet Coke, cantalope and London Broil. Just like the pioneers would have, I'm sure!
6 comments:
Any pioneer worth their salt, needs diet coke and ice cream bars.
I don't know if my kids would have made it...I am glad yours did and that they had fun!!
That's definitely one way to kill a little time!
At least it was downhill on the way home. That stroller would have been really a bear to push uphill with 4 cases of soda, heavy melon & beef!
I love it!!! We walk to the post office all the time...granted it's 10 minutes away, but the boys love it. We also walk to the junior high so I can run the track and the boys always ask if we are going to the school on days that I don't run because of errands and what not. 5 stars to you and your kids for walking up hill.
What a clever idea! For years your kids can talk about their pioneer trek--and then a few years after that they'll figure out your true intentions!
Post a Comment