Thursday, April 9, 2009

I'm Alive!

Good news is--the surgery is over and I'm NOT BALD!!!!!!! Hooray!

Bad news--it was WAY worse than I ever dreamed it would be. I am just barely sort of feeling up to sitting here at the computer for a few minutes. I thought it would be a quick snip of the cancer and that would be it. Little did I know they would remove a circle of my skin over four inches in diameter, then stretch my skin so tight that I can barely move my face and stitch it all back together with 30 stitches! I can honestly say that yesterday was one of the worst days of my life--on top of the excruciating pain, I reacted badly with the pain meds and spent all day throwing up.

At some point I will go into more details (as if you need more, right?), but for now I'm headed back to my bed on the couch. Oh yes, and though I'm soooooo grateful to not be bald, I am sporting a fun Vulcan/Neanderthal look now due to the massive swelling in my forehead. At least that will go away!!I hope.

I did just want to say THANK YOU for all the phone calls, e-mails, flowers and most especially for my friends and family that have helped so much with taking my kids and taking over the carpool and bringing meals. I couldn't have survived this without all of you.

11 comments:

Kris said...

Hang in there Jim & I have both been through this also, it does get better. Glad you have family to help. It was so great to see you and Lincoln.
Love Aunt Kris

Jenni said...

Lousy way to get the Botox effect, eh? I'm going to start calling you Joan Rivers.

I'm sorry you're miserable. Hope it passes soon. Hang in there, kiddo!

XOXO!

Unknown said...

Oh heck, they didn't say you were going to get a facelift in the bargain, did they? I've been thinking of you often but haven't wanted to call and bug you when you were feeling yucky. I just got out my ruler and 4"? Holy cow. That's BIG. Hang in there, and I hope things get better quickly. And YAY for not being bald--that's some consolation, right?

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm doing a give away on my blog! check it out, and comment to win! tell your friends!

Casey said...

Ouch! Take care and get plenty of rest. I love the extensions you bought. How fun to have instant long hair! :)

YouHaveHowMany? said...

Lindsay, I am so lame. I had no idea it was happening this week. I am glad to hear it is OVER at least! I hope you heal FAST and that your kids are ANGELS for the next few weeks! :) Can I bring in dinner some time? I would love to bring over some Calzones.... mmmm... you know you wanna... :) Hang in there!

Kayla said...

glad to have helped, and NO you don't look like that. look on the bright side...at least your forehead will look FANTASTIC when this is all over!

Heidi said...

I'm glad you survived the surgery--and I hope you surve the recovery period as well! It's amazing how far skin can stretch!

Lindsay said...

The swelling is WORSE today!!! Much worse. I seriously look like that neanderthal!!!

Anna M said...

I'm so sorry the swelling is bad and the pain meds have such bad side effects. Rest well.

Anonymous said...

Glad you survived it! So sorry that it was so miserable. I thought of you on the big day and had a prayer in my heart for you. Hope the swelling goes down quickly and you feel better soon. We love you.