Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Had a bad day?

Yesterday was really not so great...

Poor Audrey has this wart on her nose. It is in a particularly unfortunate location--right on the inner edge of her nostril, so it always looks like she's got something hanging out of her nose. This is the third time it has reared it's ugly head and this time the pediatrician suggested we take her to a pediatric dermatologist at the Children's Hospital. Yesterday was the big appointment. The doctor came at her with tweezers that were shaped like scissors that she had dipped in liquid nitrogen (so they were smoking.) I can only imagine how that looked to her. She grabbed hold of the little bugger and attempted to freeze it off. Audrey was very brave, but not thrilled about the whole situation (what with me and the resident holding her down as the doctor held onto the wart with the smoking scissors.) The doctor gave me a special prescription to get filled. That has been the whole issue with this wart--because of its location, we can't use normal medicines. Well, I went to get it filled last night and the pharmacist informed me that my co-pay was going to be $150.00. Um, for wart medicine??! He said I should be glad I have insurance--the entire cost for this medicine is over $1800.00--and (surprise, surprise) there is no generic version. Well, I just about burst into tears and left (it had been a really, really long day at that point.) Sorry, Audrey, hopefully the freezing thing worked. Otherwise, I might just fly to Mexico and pick some meds up across the border. It would probably be cheaper.

Now on to poor Lincoln. He caught this cold in Utah that has been hanging on forever. Between that and his very disturbed nap schedule yesterday (due to doctor's appointments and preschool orientation), he was a very cranky little boy. Finally, around 4:00, Isaac just looked at me and said in a pleading voice, "Mom, can you please just put Lincoln to bed now?" You know it had to be really bad if the fussing was annoying Isaac.

3 comments:

Robbie and Barb's Family said...

I'm so sorry you had such a bad day that lasted forever! Why in the world do pharm. companies think they can get away with that!

Heather said...

I had a wart on my foot and my copay was $85. I also left the medicine at the counter. The freezing did work for me. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

We love her, warts and all.