Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Great Trampoline War

Today I did a bad thing...but I really don't feel too horribly guilty about it. Since we moved in to this house almost a year ago, Ryan and I have disagreed about one thing--the trampoline. We have redecorated and remodeled and painted and added to or done something with just about every room in this house with not a single problem, but our trampoline seemed to be a major source of well, not contention, because Ryan is incapable of that particular sentiment--but a major disagreement nonetheless. I wanted to put it up; Ryan didn't. He thinks the backyard is too small. I totally agree, but I am the stay-at-home mom who has to put up with the kids bouncing off the walls day in and day out. I have begged and pleaded with him to put the thing up but he has totally refused me for months and months now. I was lamenting about this to my friend yesterday and she said, "Why don't we just put it up?" I said, "Is that even possible?" She assured me that we could do it (despite the fact that she is five months pregnant) and we deviously hatched our secret plan. This morning as soon as Ryan left for work I dragged the boxes out of the garage and to the backyard (no small feat, let me assure you.) After taking Isaac to school, I started setting it up and Kayla arrived soon after. It was hard work, but we did it! It took a bit longer than the hour and a half Kayla predicted--but that was partly my fault for not looking closer at the picture of how the net was supposed to be so we screwed the legs on wrong. But we did it!! So Ryan came home from work to a bit of a surprise. He doesn't seem mad, so I guess that is a good sign. Yes, I may be the worst wife in the world, but I guarantee this will make me a better mother. The kids were out there all evening and the sounds of pure, unadulterated joy were wafting through the windows. We had to beg them to come in to eat dinner. They played and had so much fun and got a ton of exercise and will sleep well tonight and they were out of my way while I made dinner. How could this possibly be a bad thing? Yes, the trampoline is large and unsightly in our smallish backyard, but I DON'T CARE!! Sorry Ryan, I guess my sanity is more important to me than your views of our planter in the back yard. I love you!!

Final Score...Lindsay-1 Ryan-0


Here is Lincoln tasting the grass...

5 comments:

Priscilla said...

Go Lindsay! That's funny, though maybe not to Ryan! I'm completely with you, our yard is small, too, but it's worth sacrificing the space for the trampoline.

Sad story about Isaac's teachers not noticing him crying - poor guy! At least we can be assured that our kids love us, if they miss us so much!

*Lindsey* said...

Buying our trampoline was the best buy of the year. Cody loves it and I do too. Its great exercise. I get tired after jumping for only 10 minutes. It will be a lot nicer when it's cooler out here. Right now we have to wait until the sun goes down and Cody reminds me everyday when the sun is sleeping.

YouHaveHowMany? said...

You have to have a tramp! There is nothing else to it. Hooray for you! I have done similar things to Martin in the recent past and always glory in it when I hear these great words... YOU WERE RIGHT.... ahhh victory!

Robbie and Barb's Family said...

Way to go! It's so fun hurrying to put together a project before hubby gets home!

Kayla said...

it was definitely worth it, glad I could help! Briar still asks if she can go to Audrey's house and jump on the trampoline! I still hope Ryan's not mad at me...