Sunday, February 3, 2013

An African Feast

This week in school we studied ancient African civilizations, so we ended the week by making an African feast.  Including a welcoming sign:


Lincoln working on the main dish.


Audrey adding the sauce 


Chloe was so excited to try yams, just like Anansi the Spider did (a folk tale.)  I don't think she ever figured out that yams and sweet potatoes are pretty much the same.


 They also made some homemade African instruments and serenaded us and danced for us when we were done eating.  The entire menu consisted of Chicken Legs with Figs, Papaya Rice Stir Fry, Roasted Yams, Fried Plantains (major fail) and Date Chewies.  Besides the plantains, everything tasted great!

Oh, and speaking of papayas, have you ever cut into a fresh one?!  They are full of these creepy little black seeds.  I screamed out loud when I saw them.


Lincoln said, "Well, that is just disturbing."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And that is why I don't eat papayas. Figs either, for that matter. They both look like they're infested with tiny bugs. EWWWWW!

Kim Barney said...

Very disturbing. LOL