On Friday my original family was all reunited at the Sacramento airport for the first time in...a long time. None of us brought our spouses or kids, which was good because my parents had rented the world's smallest rental car. :) We drove straight to the home health care facility that my grandma is staying in. She was asleep, so we didn't disturb her. It was hard to see her like that. She suddenly looked very, very OLD. I wouldn't have recognized her.
That night we went to my Uncle Mike's house to have a family dinner with those who could attend. I'll admit I was a little nervous going into it--I am somewhat shy (unlike the other redhead in the family) and big group things just aren't my thing. But we had a really, really good time catching up with family that we hadn't seen in years. In fact, I think I may have met one cousin for the first time. He is 16. We lived in California until I was ten, so I do have very fond memories of my aunts, uncles and cousins up until that point. It is interesting to get back together 24 years later and pick back up.
On Saturday morning we went to the funeral. It was such a great experience. The only two other funerals I have ever been to were under tragic circumstances. The funeral was really beautiful. It was perfect. I loved listening to my uncles tell funny and heartwarming stories about my grandpa. I just felt like the whole room was full of love. I mentioned that later to my family and I think they thought I was a little crazy. But I feel like there is just really something special about extended family--especially when we were brought together to celebrate the life of a truly great man.
Before the services started we all met together in the RS room as a family. I was glad my grandma was able to be there, even though I know it was very hard for her physically and probably emotionally as well. Everyone had a chance to greet her. This story will really only make sense to those of you who know my family, but it is a story I don't want to forget. I glanced over and noticed Grandpa Glick leaning over Grandma's wheelchair and talking to her with tears in her eyes. She was crying, too and then she asked him if he had one of his pennies. He promptly fished one out of his pocket and gave it to her as they both cried. It was so sweet.
They had all the grandsons be the pall bearers, which was really special. All of them were able to come except for one who is traveling in South America.
After they put in coffin in the hearse, they each took off their boutonnieres and laid them on the casket.
1 comment:
We're sorry for your loss, but glad you could spend time with your family.
Post a Comment