If last year was the year of the basement, 2010 is the year of the backyard. We were up at 6:30 am yesterday morning, at Home Depot by 7:30 and we finally ventured back into the house to eat and clean (ourselves) up at about 5:00 pm. We spent ALL DAY working in the yard. We built 2 large garden beds in the side yard which we filled with 4 varieties of tomatoes, red bell peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, pumpkins, basil, cilantro, sugar snap peas, green beans, green onions, strawberries, cantaloupe, watermelon, rhubarb and giant sunflowers (just for fun.) Hopefully we will see some results from our efforts!! Those gardens were no easy task, let me tell you. We had to move like 6 tons of landscaping rock, then build the things, then fill them in with another 6 tons of dirt from another part of the backyard, then manure/soil stuff--then we got to plant! Ryan also worked some more on the patio he is building and fixed the sprinklers (I'm sure our neighbors are grateful for that--our grass looks AWFUL!) And I did take a few breaks--I got to go to the sprinkler supply store twice! It was a long day and I have a whole new appreciation for people who do heavy manual labor in the heat on a regular basis. Wow. We are really hopeful that we can celebrate with a giant party on Labor Day in our new finished backyard--we will be able to enjoy the fruits of our labors on Labor Day! Cross your fingers...
Hard at work in the morning...

The kids didn't last nearly as long as we did. Within a few hours they were in their swimsuits playing in the hose. But I plan to start off every day of their summer vacation with some work outside. It will be good for them. And the yard.

The finished product. We planted a lot of seeds too, so that is why they look somewhat empty right now.
3 comments:
Way to go! It looks great! Don't be too discouraged if you don't get too many veggies this year. Sometimes it takes a few gardens for the soil to be just right. I can't wait until we can get ours going too. It's high up on the priority list. We just need to do a few other things first before we prep it.
It looks so good! Did you do raised beds? If so I want to chat for a bit to see what you did. I am sooo novice and this. Way to go!
Looks good! I am excited to see the finished product!!
Post a Comment