
We spent a whole day exploring Nauvoo and hit Carthage the next. Neither Ryan and I had ever seen the Nauvoo temple so we all enjoyed something new. Audrey was once again not thrilled about the lack of Indian artifacts. We got to take a wagon ride all around the town and we learned a lot. We went to a really interesting museum that had a bunch of things that had been unearthed as they excavated Nauvoo--dishes, silverware, dominoes. At the end of the day we walked along the "trail of tears", Parley Street, the road that the pioneers fled the city on. They have a bunch of plaques along the route that have excerpts from people's journals about how they felt to leave Nauvoo. We were able to look back and see the temple, just as they did. It was really neat. I would love to go back sometime when my kids are older so they can appreciate it more.
Us in front of the Nauvoo temple. Audrey didn't want to be in the picture if you couldn't tell.

The boys on the wagon ride.

Our horses.

I had never been to Carthage. It is a very somber place. I don't think the kids quite grasped where we were--another place to go back to someday.
The Carthage jail is the building behind them.
1 comment:
What a cool trip! And great pictures, too. Can't wait to hear more.
Post a Comment