Saturday, February 6, 2010

Bet you can't guess what this is...

My main New Year's Resolution this year is to get our financial house in order. Not that it is out of order, but I figure there is always room for improvement. We have a lot of ambitious long-term financial goals, not to mention four college educations, at least two missions and numerous other big ticket expenses looming in our future that we save for monthly. We have also had a few unexpected monthly expenses enter into our lives this year. In looking over our budget, we decided some cuts would have to be made and some sacrifice would be involved. So here is one of our solutions:


Any ideas as to what it is??

It is an antenna! Ryan built it and installed it in the attic. That's right. We are done with our satellite t.v. MAJOR SACRIFICE! Both of us work out at least 1 1/2 hours a day and we watch our shows while we do it. Ryan has a plan to make it all work--he is installing a DVR thingy on our computer so that we can still record our antenna shows. Yes, we will miss some of the fancy channels, but I love taking control of our money situation and making it work even better.

6 comments:

Kayla said...

congrats! I really don't think you'll miss the satellite! I haven't missed cable a day since we got rid of it. I actually found and love that we watch less tv (especially the kids, they used to watch a show a day, now it like maybe 3 shows a WEEK!) and I still get all the shows I really care about! I love the smaller bills too! yeah! please share more ideas of how you're saving money, we all need them!

Heidi said...

It will probably be an adjustment at first, but you'll probably love it. We haven't had cable or anything since our BYU days (can you believe that), and at this moment, I can't fathom paying for tv! It's totally a budget saver. Go Linday and Family!

Priscilla said...

I so admire you guys! I can't wait to hear how it works (the antenna and missing some of your tv channels.) Good luck and keep us posted on all your ideas for saving money. It's good to be reminded of things like that.

Jenni said...

I'm aghast. Let me know how it goes.

I really should do it myself, but I'm scared....

Rochelle said...

Wow! You guys are awesome! I wish I had the guts to pull the plug. Maybe if my husband had some of Ryan's mad engineering skills....

It definitely wouldn't hurt to have less TV around here, though. Maybe someday??

Anna M said...

Good for you!