Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The stockings were hung...


We had a nice, relaxing Christmas Eve, full of traditions that we love. We started off with our annual "Shepherd's Supper" where we eat the types of foods the shepherds might have been eating the night Christ was born. We had an assortment of breads and cheeses, along with grapes and olives. Sometimes I remember to get beef jerky, but this year I forgot. We read the Christmas story from Luke and the kids all opened one special present which I had set under the tree earlier in the day. I think it was the longest day of the kids' lives--just waiting to open that one present sitting there under the tree tempting them. That is why I don't put any presents out until after bedtime on Christmas Eve! Anyway, they opened up their new jammies and loved them. (Except Audrey, who accidentally opened Lincoln's jammies and thought I had gotten her "Handy Manny" jammies, when she had just watched Chloe open her Tinkerbell ones. All turned out okay in the end!) Then we had our annual donuts and chocolate milk, which is a tradition that started with my mom in her childhood, then we did it in my family growing up and now I do it with my kids. You just don't mess with traditions. I was kind of scared to even send Ryan out to buy the donuts and chocolate milk because I thought he might try to fancy it up and get the wrong kind of donuts. Luckily he is a smart man and called me from the store to ask if he should do donut holes or the powdered "donettes." I'm just glad he called, because if he had shown up with the holes, I would have sent him back.

The kids were finally tucked into bed and we relaxed quietly for a little while, listening to "The Messiah" and sitting by the fire. Unfortunately I got a sad phone call about that time from my aunt telling me that my grandpa had been in a horrible accident and was dying. That kind of put a damper on the evening. I spent quite a while at that time trying to get a hold of my mom who was in England with the rest of my family for the holidays, but I was unable to do so. We then stayed up WAY TOO LATE putting together a play kitchen for the girls. So by the time we finally got in bed it was no longer Christmas Eve, but Christmas morning...on to the next post!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that Shepherd's Supper idea! And who doesn't love powdered Donettes and Chocolate milk? Fun traditions!

So sorry to hear about your grandpa. :(

Jenni said...

I'm so sorry about your grandpa. I'm glad you were able to have a nice day in spite of it. The kids sure look cute in their jammies.

What prompted the rest of your family to make a trip to London? Exciting!

Lindsay said...

My brother and his family are living in Oxford, where he is getting his MBA--so they all went to visit them for Christmas. I guess England is a tad more appealing than Denver.

Anna M said...

I'm so sorry about your Grandpa. I hope you are doing well. I am impressed you are able to keep all the presents hidden. Where do you put them all? Or do you have good neighbors who help you?

Lindsay said...

I wrap all the presents almost right away after buying them, then hide them in big black trash bags in our closet, strategically placed under folded clothes and towels and stuff. I learned from my mom when I went snooping for my own presents hidden in her closet.