
Hello all. I just have to ask...have any of you fellow bloggers actually had some sort of security threat or identity theft problem because of your blog? I really want to know. Going private seems to be the thing to do these days and I really don't see why. I feel like I haven't compromised my children's safety in any way on my blog, but maybe I am naive. To be honest, private blogs are such a big hassle in my book. I can't put them in my Google Reader, which means I hardly ever remember to check them. And then I can't ever remember who is private and who isn't. We were private at first and I just found that nobody ever read my blog. I love people being able to find me and see what I am up to. I have caught up with so many long lost friends--I love it!
So, to all of you who are private, I am curious as to your reasons. And I'm sorry that I hardly ever read or comment on your blog. Please don't uninvite me now! (Maybe I am a little annoyed at the moment because someone I know recently went private and didn't invite me, even though I asked to be. I guess I'm just a loser that way...Sour grapes.)
16 comments:
Hi Lindsey, you don't know me, but I was a friend of Ryan's before his mission. He found me recently on facebook and gave me your blog link, so I've been following it. Anyway I wanted to say I agree with you on the privacy thing. I don't worry because Blogspot doesn't have a search feature so someone can only happen on your blog by chance without the link. Anyway thats just my opinion on that subject!
I'm glad to hear that someone agrees with me!!! I know I'm not the only one!
Yes, see? That's what I thought, too...
I'm not worried about it. I make sure not to post the name of the city we live in and I don't post our last name, or teacher names and the like. But I don't want to live in fear. I like it when I hear that a friend of a friend has stumbled on my blog and likes it. My blog isn't listed in the search engines so it isn't like I get a ton of traffic. If I was really freaked out I guess I could even remove my blog from my profile so people can't look me up when I leave comments.
Besides, I don't think my blog is interesting enough for people to want to log in to read it. Anyway, just my two (very long) cents. :)
I love that the only people commenting are those that agree with me! :) Come on, I want to hear from the rest of you (not that you will change my mind or anything...)
Anyway, Jamie, I'm glad you found me and Casey, I'm glad I found you and you found me! How else would I know my cousin-in-law?! (Is that what we are?) Down with private blogs!! (Did I really just type that?! Hee, hee!)
I went private because I don't want everyone out there to know whats up...I like being able to put everything and anything on the blog because I plan to have them printed in books. It is like a journal for our family. I know people wish we did the public thing, but I will invite anyone that asks.
I think private blogs are a pain too. This sums up my privacy philosophy pretty well.
Well, I have a private blog and feel strongly about it. First, yes, I do have two friends who tracked visitors on their blogs and got some strange traffic from places they did not know. It did not bother them until "Sam" started posting creepy comments about her daughters looked.
Second, a public blog on the internet is public even if it is not selected to be highlighted by google. Anything that you post, even if you retract it later is saved on servers and is very much accessible to those who know how to mine data. My spouse is a computer guy and has remained adamant that we NEVER even on a private blog post full birthdays or addresses because with some sophisticated searching that information can get you a lot of information. Thirdly, I honestly don't think most people are malicious and most casual surfers are no big deal, but it is like locking your door at night. I don't really think someone is going to break in, but if on some strange chance that someone does try, I want some barriers so they can't get in easily and I'll know when they do.
That was from Anna. LOL :0)
Anna, I'm glad you added that last comment. I was kind of confused for a second--someone sends their love and has strong opinions about private blogs, but I can't even access their blocked profile and have no idea who they are!! Hope you guys are doing well. I just sent your Christmas package yesterday--so keep your eyes peeled for it!
well, you and I have talked about this before....and i'm still undecided. i'm at times tempted cause I think it's weird that strange people i don't know care about MY life, why they do, I don't know. it just makes me wonder about how voyeristic people really are. but, i get annoyed by private blogs, so i've held out, hoping no one creepy is reading my blog. i just wish the strangers would come out of hiding and comment :), well nicely that is, i think i'd feel better
Anna told me about your blog entry, so I decided to take a quick look. Sounds like you really are serious about not changing your mind on this.
Your entry did convince me of one thing: to finally set up a Blogger profile!
Yeah, I don't think I will change my mind any time in the near future. I have had a lot of random people look at my blog--I know I don't know anyone in Norway! But it doesn't bother me at all. I know there is a slight chance that someone creepy could take advantage, but I think they would have to be really determined to do so. I don't think that it is very likely.
Yes, the timing is kind of funny, but Anna ran across this blog of a high school friend just last Sunday. So this brings the total to three people we personally know that have gone private.
OKay-we just recently went private and I have to say that I wish we didn't have to-I also think it is more of a pain to be private and to visit private blogs. I also forget about them. Sorry. And I miss the comments and more people reading ours. BUT...I agree with your friend Anna and also, I have a friend who got some creepy comments like "good to know" and other stuff about her 3 year old daughter and comments about her in her bathing suit (about the daughter again) from an unknown reader. I also know someone else that found a blog that had all of her family's pics on it with made up names and such. Not necessarily harmful, but weird and a bit scary. My sis-n-law has also had identity theft although not from her blog-she doesn't use blogspot and it is private. And lastly, my hubby is now a policeman and they suggest having an unlisted phone number because of this which to me translates into the blog too. So, there you have it. Like I said, before, I don't prefer it this way, but...
Thanks for all the comments, guys. I have to admit, you are giving me some things to think about.
Post a Comment