Monday, October 28, 2013

Requested Recipes!

I keep having people asking for recipes, and since I don't really keep up with my Fit Family blog anymore, I'll just post them on here.  Sorry it has taken me so long!!!

Healthier Pumpkin Bread--makes 2 loaves  (I make this all year round--I puree and freeze our Halloween pumpkins every year.  We love it!!)

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup agave nectar
3 egg whites
1 15 oz. can pumpkin or 1 3/4 cup fresh cooked pumpkin
1 cup applesauce
2 TBSP water
2 1/2 cups flour (you can sub wheat flour if you want)
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup chopped nuts, optional
(chocolate chips also taste yummy!!)

In a large bowl, thoroughly combine first 6 ingredients (through water.)  Mix together next 6 dry ingredients.  Stir into pumpkin mixture, a small amount at a time.  Mix well.  Stir in nuts or chocolate chips, if desired.

Divide batter into 2 well greased or sprayed loaf pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Allow to cool 15 minutes.  Remove from pan and allow to cool completely.


Breakfast Cookies (Every time I have made these they have been a hit and gone in a flash!  I have had so many people ask me for this recipe!  My kids have them for breakfast, lunch, after-school snack or a treat.)

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup protein powder--I use IsaLean Creamy French Vanilla...hey, if you want to know how to get this high quality, all-natural, super-food, top-grade protein powder, let me know!  I can hook you up.
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/2 cup olive oil
4 egg whites
1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
1/2 cup apple butter
1 TBSP vanilla
2 TBSP plain, low-fat yogurt
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup craisins

 Mix dry ingredients and spices in a large bowl.  Cream olive oil and agave nectar together, then add egg whites and mix well.  Add molasses, apple butter, vanilla and yogurt and mix again, then add to dry ingredients.  Add raisins, craisins and almonds.    Form the mixture into a ball.  Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or more.  Spoon balls of cookie dough onto sprayed cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

Autumn Harvest Soup--(I found a copycat Panera recipe on Pinterest and gave it a try after falling in love with the squash soup they have there right now.  I had to make quite a few adjustments and this is what I came up with.)

1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 TBSP canola oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 15 oz. can pumpkin
3 cups vegetable broth
3 cups apple juice
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 1/2 TBSP honey
1 tsp. curry
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. cloves
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
orange zest

Heat oven to 450.  Toss butternut squash with canola oil, salt and pepper.  Roast for 30 minutes.  Let cool 5 minutes.  Puree squash in a blender (you have to add water to make it work.)  In small batches, blend together squash puree, pumpkin, vegetable broth, apple juice, almond milk and orange zest.  (This is messy and not fun, but worth it, right?!)  Pour mixture into a sauce pan and heat over medium heat.  Add honey and spices.  Simmer for 10 minutes and serve with roasted pumpkin seeds.


1 comment:

Evelyn @ Hanging by a Silver Lining said...

Awesome! Can't wait to try this! Thank you for the share!