Isaac had a super-fun project that we worked on for school. He had to design an island and create a 3-D map of it. As a family we had a blast brainstorming ideas for his "Isle of Potter." And then we got to build the map...
I say "we." This was definitely a joint venture. All of us worked on it. And had fun. It got me to thinking...
Lincoln has been begging for his own homework everyday after school while the kids are doing theirs. So I wrote down some math problems for him and look what he busted out:
Okay, so he can't write all his numbers yet, and some of the digits were transposed, but he got them all right!! He is four! That also got me thinking...
And then sweet Audrey who is literally failing third grade if that is even possible and cries and tells me she is the "worst in the class." We are now forking out literally hundreds of dollars a month to get the girls tutoring. It's gotten me thinking.
And the petty little issues that the girls are starting to run into with other girls. You know. "Mean Girls." It's starting. And I don't like it. Still thinking...
I remember the first kid I ever met that was homeschooled. Let's just say it was NOT a good impression. The child had absolutely no social skills (and it's not like my kids are great socially, but this girl was downright rude.) Through the years I've encountered more and more homeschooled children and I'll be honest--most of them are/were WEIRD. Dressed like pioneers. On. purpose. Walked around with a holier-than-thou attitude. In their pioneer dresses. Took tap dance lessons. (THE BOYS.) Weird.
But I have also come across some incredible, well-rounded, self-confident kids that I would be thrilled to have my kids turn out like. (That sentence probably negates any confidence anyone has in my ability to actually teach my children anything, but oh well.)
I want my kids to learn at their own pace. I want them to love learning. I want them to be able to learn without the distractions of things like bratty, stuck up girls not including them or worrying about someone teasing them in gym. I like the idea of our family working together and learning together like we did on "The Isle of Potter."
The more I research it, the more feasible it seems. I don't know. Maybe I am totally crazy. I never thought I would ever homeschool. But I also never realized what kind of a world I would be sending my kids out into every day. I can't shelter them from everything, but I can choose when I want to expose them to certain things.
Well, I am seriously considering it. As scary as it seems. As crazy as it seems. I live in the best school district in the state, for heaven's sake!! But these days, I just don't know. More than anything else, I want to do what is right for my kids. And this might be it. Gulp.






3 comments:
Homeschooling is awesome! :)
I think I told you on FB that some of the most well-rounded, confident and fun kids I know are home schooled. It depends on their personalities to begin with and how much interaction you can get with other homeschoolers, which these days is a ton. I like managing what your kids learn and when and maybe it wouldn't have to be forever. I've seen how hard you've worked on your house and your family's health and I know you would be a phenomenal teacher/ mentor for your kids. Each family and child's situation is unique. It's just good there are so many options today. Good luck deciding what's best!
Homeschooling is a big step, and I never thought that I would do it. It has made a big difference for Spencer, and I think it really makes sense in some cases because you can give your child more individual attention. The trickiest part is balancing the needs of more than one person, but I have no doubt you would do a great job. Email or call if you want to talk! Best wishes!
Post a Comment