Friday, July 6, 2012

A Wonderful Blast from the Past


A few years ago or so, I was a crazy college student who was lucky enough to have some of the most awesome roommates ever.  We were a tight-knit little group and we did everything together.  We were all far from home and quickly became each other's family. We were together through thick and thin.  Our junior year came and we met a fun guy named Steve who started hanging around our apartment.  A lot.  One thing led to another and our dear friend Steve married our dear friend Micah.  I remember I was so happy when they got engaged because that meant I would get to see Steve again in the future.  Because I knew OF COURSE I would see Micah again--probably like ALL THE TIME, because we were THAT close and that is how my 20 year old brain thought things would be.  The rest of us eventually got married as well and we all went our separate ways--some to Missouri, some to Colorado, some to Kuwait.  No, seriously.  

Micah and Steve have been living in KUWAIT for the past two years because Steve is a super secret spy works for the State Department as a Foreign Service Officer.  KUWAIT.  Do you know it gets to be 135 degrees there?!  And I thought we were having a hot summer!!  Well, when your dear old college roommate/BFF/practically a sister lives in the Middle East, the chances of a quick visit to reminisce about old times is pretty much non-existent. 

But, thanks to the blessed State Department, and all of us taxpayers, Steve, Micah and their six children got to come home this summer for some R&R and we were so excited that they had some time in their schedule to make a stop in Denver!!!!

We didn't have much time with them, but it was so much fun to see them again.  Ryan has only met them twice and we haven't seen them since Isaac was a baby.  The kids all got along so well and we had such a wonderful time remembering how stupid we once were (although we discovered that Micah has a seriously selective memory!!)

How about a trip down memory lane? (Yes I own a scanner, but I do not know how to use it.  So pardon my pictures of pictures.)
Me, Micah and Steve
The year we made our own Thanksgiving dinner--and no one got food poisoning!
Me, Steve, Micah, Heidi and Ethan (on our laps)

Micah and Heidi with their future husbands...me with someone I have no recollection of.

What a happy day when two of my favorite people got married to each other and I got to be the bridesmaid.

So, Micah and I can go from this....

 

to this...

in a mere 17 years or so.


I'm not sure we have really changed all that much.

We used to always talk about how someday we would come back to BYU to drop our own kids off for college and we would meet up at our favorite Wendy's and chat.  Well, the girls have already met Abigail, their future roommate!


Thank you so much for coming, you guys!!  I love you!!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I love this! I was supposed to meet up with Micah today... or was it yesterday... but I have a house full of sick kids! I will see her before she goes home next week. Loved the post. And pics!