Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day Camp

A few months ago I was trying to find a fun day camp to sign my kids up for during the summer. Everything I found was full, too expensive or too far away. I jokingly mentioned to some friends that I was just going to do my own and they took me seriously and encouraged me to give it a try. I got some ideas together and ran with it.

Our first session was last week for kids ages 2 to 6. This week we started the session for ages 7 to 11. It has been so much fun!!!! Every day we have a different theme with age-appropriate activities. The first day was "What a Wonderful World" where we learn cultures from around the world. We did Chinese calligraphy, ate Finnish pancakes, made Scottish scones, made puppets from India and Alaska and played traditional games from Greece and Chile--and that's not even all we did!

The younger kids made paper leis.

The Greek statue game



The second day is "It's not easy being green" where we learn all about taking care of the earth--making bird feeders, painting pots and planting seeds, eating "dirt dessert" , picking up trash around the neighborhood, making Capri Sun wallets and building an entire city out of trash in my living room.

Picking up trash

The carved watermelon
Painting pots


Trash city



The third day is "Olden Day". We take old-fashioned pictures and make frames, make bread and butter and play pioneer games.

Everyone with their own little loaf of freshly baked bread.

Old fashioned Briar


The last day is "Silly Science" where we do volcanoes, explosions and rockets of multiple varieties, cook our lunch in a solar oven and eat glow-in-the-dark jello.

Bubbles!!

So it's been so fun I'm doing two more sessions in July and maybe even two more in August. Now I get to start planning those!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I still DIE laughing every time I look at Maren's "antique" photo. That is a hilarious idea!

Maren loved every second of Day Camp!